DH brought home "blood sausage"

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by boxermom, Jan 22, 2010.

1. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    What do I do? The thought of it is nauseating. [​IMG] How would I prepare it? I don't mind trying new things, but I like to try things that have been prepared by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm at a loss on this one. I haven't even looked at it yet because it's frozen. Any Swedes out there? [​IMG]

2. beerman

beerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Smithville, il
    YUMMY!!!!!!!!!! Thaw it and one way to cook it is to cover it with water or beer and simmer it until it is done. I have also grilled them and cooked them in the oven. They are tasty, just don't let the name bother you.

3. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    The only blood sausage I ever had was like a luncheon meat. It was about the size of bologna in diameter and it had chunks of meat in it ,it actually looked kind of pretty. I wouldn't eat it as a child but my tastes changed and it was quite good actually. I know there are other types of blood sausage which you need to cook. Just be like Andrew Zimmeren on Bizzare foods, " if it looks good, eat it! " lol. If you don't try it, you'll never know, and it sure won't hurt ya.

4. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Okay, I swear I used to know what this is, but I can't think of it anymore, so I am going to go ahead and assume it is something gross lol!

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    defrost it
    grill it
    then let simmer (i usually use a disposable tin pan on other side of grill) for about 10 min or longer.
    you can simmer in whatever you like, beer, water BBQ sauce, mustard sauce etc. I use 1 bottle dark beer and 1 small jar whole grain mustard.

6. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Blood sausage is a very traditional food!!!!

7. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    In polish its called kashanka and it comes in a form like kubasa.Just slice it 1/2 inch thick throw it ina pan with a lil oil fry on both side till nicencrispy and enjoy also good with homemade sourdough bread mmmmm.

8. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Kaszanka can be a very acquired taste. I'm 1/4 polish and can't stand the stuff [​IMG] , but grilling it is a good way to prepare it and then like was previously posted boil it in a beer solution. Kielbasa is way more my speed.

9. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That show Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern eats that stuff. I've seen it prepared on the grill, in skillets over a gas oven. Very unique and healthy food.

10. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    My 1/2 polish mother just said fry it butter in a cast iron skillet...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by