DH came home from physical therapy rehab today - I'm exhausted.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by lengel, Dec 5, 2009.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I don't know how you health care pros do it. DH has been home for one day with a broken femur and patella (knee cap). It's 12:30 am and I'm just now sitting down. Please tell me that the first day is the hardest! I'm wiped. We're having the same issues that we were worried would come up with MIL living at home if she became relatively immobile - getting him in the tiny bathrooms is a nightmare. The walker just doesn't fit between the sink and bathtub. So he has to lift the thing over the corner of the bathtub or else scoot sideways.

We're going to have to figure this out. This disease is just going to get worse. Uck.

I did come up with a clever solution for the dogs though. I lined up the crates and the couch wall to wall with a space in between then put up a gate. So, I've either confined them to the rest of the house or gated off DH. Hard to say but with the 58" TV arriving soon, DH should be comfortable in his play area.

2. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Sorry it has been rough. I remember when I broke my foot back in 2001 ~ it took a couple of days to figure everything out. Can he use crutches for the tight spots? Maybe leave the crutches close to the bathroom door and use the walker up to that point?

I do believe it will get better soon ... just going to take a day or two to iron out the wrinkles.

3. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Quote:Thank you. I'm hoping we'll get better at it after a few days but today was a little horrifying. He hasn't been cleared on crutches yet but I hope that's the next technique. Maybe after he sees the surgeon on Tuesday.

4. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Do you have an office chair or a stool on wheels? That was a life saver for me when I did my tib/fib and couldn't weight bear for months. If he is home alone and using his walker and needs to carry stuff (impossible with both hands on the walker) tie a laundry basket either to the handles or drag along behind.

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, you poor gal. Its so not easy tending to family as I have done it for years. It is the most exhausting, thankless, rewarding job you will ever have. I took care of my mother here at home for 14 years, she was not a total care, yet when it came to showers, food, it was either to hot, cold, or refused to eat,do,pills, food, shower ugh. But, I, like you are more then glad to do it for the love of the person.
    As for bathroom, is it possible to place a chair up against the wall to be used like a walker? Or can you place handles like the ones that you would use as a door pull and screw them into the studs for safety. They sell pull bars, but handles are much less expensive.
    Or until he can get more mobile, you may need to place a commode outside the bathroom door or even a urinal. Sounds gross, but there must be something easier on you.
    Having worked in healthcare, we leave at the end of 8/12/16 hours. We do not have to get up, check, make comfortable our own family...it is much different when its someone you love.
    Bless your heart, keep in mind that you need time out, let the house work go, you do not have to be super woman, your human.

6. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    I hear ya!
    My DH had surgery Nov 2 to remove a 2"x3" tumor in his right tibia- at the end of the bone near the knee, and a bone cement graft.
    He cannot put weihjt on his leg till at least the end of this month.
    8 weeks.
    He had the surgery when our baby was 3 weeks old.
    ... and we have 2 other young children.

I have to take care of him, the kids, the animals, and I had to go back to work this week- part time.
    I am going crazy! I want to run away!

I am thankful it was a benign tumor..
    but I cannot even begin to keep up with everything... I am SO stressed out!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  7. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    KittyKorat did they call that tumor an enchondroma by any chance? Can you share why he had to have it removed if it was benign? If Im being too nosy just cyber smack me ok? [​IMG]

8. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    It was a giant cell tumor. Apparently, although benign, if they are left alone it will continueto grow and will eat away at the bone till it shatters.

9. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Thanks for the answer Kitty. I have a large enchodroma in my left leg and thats why I was asking. My surgeon is telling me to have it removed and Im resisting. Im sorry if I hijacked this thread. Best wishes and prayers to the caregivers as well as the wounded.

10. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    They declared my home unsafe today - the physical therapist and home health nurse. It's an old converted barn with little steps everywhere, uneven floors and tiny bathrooms. The hallway is barely big enough for the walker. She's documenting everything so that the insurance will be blamed if he falls again. I was so unhappy though. What a discouraging thing to hear since the disease is progressive. I'm desperately trying to think of how we can make the house work. The PT didn't see it though.

Thank you, spook. The housework is definitely suffering and I was so embarrassed when people came over today.

Oh, kittykorat, I am so sorry. I can't imagine.

You didn't hijack breezy. I for one am always interested in anything bone related.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by