DH decided we need geese...anyone have eggs?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by KellyHM, Mar 31, 2009.

1. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I said I would never have geese b/c I've had bad experiences w/ mean ones in the past, but DH had decided that we "need" them to protect/warn the flock. [​IMG] Anyways, now I'm looking for a few eggs. I would love to have some Sebastopols...if I have to have them at least they'll be pretty! I'm open to whatever though. Just let me know what you have, how much, and let me see a pic of what they look like if possible. I'd like to get at least 4 or 5 eggs so I'll hopefully end up with more then one goose. Thanks!

2. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Banter has beautiful Sebastapols. Miss P just hatched a few out and I held the most darling goslings when I visited her. Your DH is awesome! My Dh is not so inclined at this time. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Yeah, but he picks the one species I'm not inclined to have. [​IMG] I guess I already have most everything else....

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have Toulouse Geese.

I sell them for $4.50 a piece from my website, but I decided to offer them for $3.50 a piece plus $16.00 priority mail shipping to BYC members only. I can fit up to 5 goose eggs in a box.

Here are some pictures of them.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Also, I do have 2 males that I leave out 24/7 during the breeding season, they keep away the hawks, and nothing has ever tried to attack the geese.

I wrap them in large bubble bubblewrap. Then I use lots and lots and lots of shredded paper as cushioning. I stamp the box 'FRAGILE' , and 'Handle With Care'.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  5. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Oh, they're very cute. Is it hard to hatch them? Seems like I've heard that it is. Do they fit in a regular egg turner or would I need to hand turn them? Do they require different incubation parameters? Sorry for all the questions. [​IMG]

6. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:They are very easy to hatch for me. I just cool them once a day for 15 min. Start cooling on day 4 up until they pip the shell. Then you mist them with warm water during the cool down period. They hatch on day 30.

I have a incubator that fits into a cradle, so that is how I turn them. You can hand turn them 3x a day. Ive read that some people suggest that waterfowl eggs do best when hand turned.

They dont require different incubation parameters, except for the cooling and misting. I incubate them at 99.5 in my forced air incubator.

7. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Ok, while we're talking about shipping eggs...do you sell you Mandarin duck eggs? [​IMG]

8. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:This will be the 2nd spring for my girls. I didnt get any eggs at all last year. So im patiently waiting for them to start laying, yeah right. [​IMG] Hope they start soon. I will be hatching all the eggs that I can get this year. But next year, I might have a few small batches.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  9. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I have gray saddle back poms and african dewlap, they are running together so some will be pure and some will be mixed. Im asking 3.00 an egg plus shipping. I could ship 4 eggs in a flat rate box for 12.00.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I have brown chinese geese available

and also white chinese geese available.

I have a limited number of white chinese geese (since I only have one mated pair)

But a very ample supple of the Brown Chinese Geese as I have 7 mated pairs there.

Here's a photo of the Brown Chinese:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These geese actually follow directions and my husband and I can direct them by waving our arms.They are known as weeder geese and are our full time workers in the garlic field and onion fields on our chemical free farm.

Please pm me if you are interested and need any additional information. Have a blessed day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by