DH doesn't approve of my duck!!!!

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
The vet gave me a Pekin duckling that somebody abandoned at his office. The original plan was to give him to my friend that has other ducks. However, I have become attached to him. He has been adopted by one of my chicken hens. If he grows up and seems to be happy living with chickens, I see no reason for him to leave. DH totally disapproves. I think he is convinced that this little duck will be like a gateway drug to more ducks. Then he would have to build a duck house and dig a pond (Hmmm. Not a bad idea). Last night he was mowing and the little duck started to cry. It was kind of a mix between a peep and a quack. He got off the mower and came and asked me if we were going to have to put up with that constant noise! For crying out loud. I was watching him. He was on a loud riding lawnmower with a crowing rooster behind him, and he was complaining about Chester's tiny little noise! Men!! How could anybody not love this baby??!!
6382_pc310476.jpg

Just ignore him! I always say "I am a grown up. I live here too and I want a _____" I go get what I want. My DH doesn't talk to me for a week. Then he is over it and he falls in love with whatever critter I've brought home.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
lol.png
Yep!

Gosh I hope Chester gets some feathers on his wittle wings soon cause as it stands, I can see him belly up in a roasting pan! Maybe this is what DH sees too.

gig.gif
I keed. Chester is adorable and that cage is da bomb! What is DH worried about? What's one duck among chickens?

Quote:
lol.png
Yep!

Gosh I hope Chester gets some feathers on his wittle wings soon cause as it stands, I can see him belly up in a roasting pan! Maybe this is what DH sees too.

gig.gif
I keed. Chester is adorable and that cage is da bomb! What is DH worried about? What's one duck among chickens?

That cage is a dog run. Believe it or not it was DH that insisted that the chickens get the expensive run, and it is Dh that is insisting that he put new siding on the coop. Only the best for the chickens. He is very fond of the chickens. He even stands over the incubator and crows at peeping eggs to encourage them to hatch and crows at the babies when they are brooding in the house (so they have a role model I guess
hmm.png
) I don't know what he dislikes about the duck.

maybe he will get use to the duck... my hubby isn't overly fond of my ducks... but he never really complains unless i want another one

My husband wasnt to happy when I brought home 2 then I got 2 more and then 2 more ...The TSC had babies and I got 6 more...My house smelled like wet ducks for weeks..He didnt say anything he knows he would have lost...He wasnt happy with the rabbit or dog or 2 cats..But he lost also..I am an animal person...Besides all I have to do is cry and I get anything I want...LOL

Last edited:
well If I know you Jody you'll keep the duck and tell DH to pound tar,so I'm not worried about the duck.
But let me just say, If I had that setup, I would be putting a kiddie pool in and getting Chester some friends to share it with
duc.gif

I can't say that I'm looking for a home because I have a friend that would take him. She has ducks already, but all that she does is feed them corn. I'm a little picky about my animals getting appropriate diets. On the bright side, this morning DH was looking at Chester splashing around in the rubber feed pan that I fill with water for him, and he said, "I think we're going to have to get him a bigger pool." I just nodded in agreement and kept quiet. Sometimes he starts to accept things if he is in on the planning and ideas. Once he gets going, he over does it. By this time next year Chester will probably have a duck house, his own run and a pool with a cedar deck and diving board.

Back
Top Bottom