DH dropped my 5 day old SS-now it's limping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pastrymama, Aug 9, 2010.

1. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    i can't believe he did that. she is limping on her left leg. could it be broken? what in the world do i do? anything? i am so mad!!!!!!!! i have been waiting for my feed store to get in these SS and i just picked up 2 yesterday. one when i got it home couldn't eat and had some pretty bad stress and i tried everything i could but nothing worked, so i took it back this morning and she gave me a new one. now this happens. i already told dh if she is still limping in the morning, the first thing he is doing tomorrow is getting me another SS chick. and figuring out how to fix her. any ideas? and no, i am not taking a chick to a vet to get an xray. realistic options that don't cost more than buying another chick. may sound harsh, but that is how we have to handle things. thanks.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Don't fret to much they are bouncey at times. Could just be a bruise. I had a BO that was limping, turned out she jumped down from the roost and bumped her leg. I lowered the roosts she was fine. Cuddle it for a while. A little TLC goes along way.

Hoping for the best

Rancher

3. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I had a tiny 1 week old that came with a bum leg- broken leg or foot- and could not stand. I seperated her and made sure she had food and water; in fact, for the first week I had to hand feed (because she couldn't stand). Now it is 3 weeks later and she is fine - running around with the flock. I'd seperate yours if she is having trouble getting to food or water, or if the others are bullying her. Likely she will be feeling better in a few days. Otherwise just keep an eye on her - check her crop to make sure it is full (that she is getting food). Good luck!

4. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    When mine first went out in the coop and started using the roosts, one of them injured a foot/leg flying off the roost in the morning. She limped around on it for a week or so, but she healed just fine. I put her in a pet kennel on the coop floor at night for a few days so she would not injure herself more trying to use the roosts, but once she healed, she was great. Haven't had a problem since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by