DH hurt his back BAD!!! What am I to do?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blueberrychickens, Mar 23, 2012.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    DH is deep in the throws of back spasms. Poor guy could hardly get out of bed this am. So now he is going to be unable to build me a grow out coop for the babies. I am not one for hammering nails w/ any sort of efficiency. The hens are fine in their coop, it's the babies. The plan was for building another coop that is in a separate part of the run so the babies could grow up & get used to the hens & the hens could get used to the babies. There is no room in the 1st coop to put the babies. They are 1 month old as of today.(luckily there is only 2 of them) They are still living in a rubbermaid brooder in my dining room.
    I've looked for a coop online but they are too expensive. What am I gonna do? Should I attempt to build a 4x4 coop on my own?? That idea scares the life out of me!! HELP!

2. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Oh! He's totally Faking! :lau :lau Just KIDDING! My DH has back spasms that last about 2 weeks, then he's fine and normal. I feel sorry for you ( and him) :hugs DH says that's the worst pain ever, but it goes away. Can you wait a week or two?

3. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Either I wait or I try to do it myself......yikes!!
    (oh & I have 25 eggs in the bator due to hatch next Fri!)[​IMG]

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The most humane thing to do when a husband goes lame is simply to have him put down.

(Get well soon!)

1 person likes this.
  5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    :yuckyuck

6. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    lol you should start building it. There just chickens so they won't judge. Maybe your husband can help but you do the lifting? Good luck cause i get back spasms and they suck. Anyways i hope your husband gets better quick.

7. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't hammer a nail to save my life. So if I had to make my own project, I'd use screws and a good cordless drill to drive them. If I needed wood cut I'd have home depot do it as much as possible.

8. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    build it yourself. If you have trouble using a hammer, pre-drill the holes with drill.
    If your take your time and get helpful hints from your husband, you can do it.

9. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Do you have a doghouse or something that you can use until your DH is feeling good enough to work on the coop? We had to do that for a short time and it worked fine. We put in a few metal fence posts and some chicken wire to give them a run. We also had to put some bird netting on top to keep them from flying out.

10. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    OMG!!! That is too funny!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by