DH is going to Costa Rica - any advise/words to the wise?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by thebritt, Jun 8, 2011.

1. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    She's leaving in 20 days. Her best friend will be there for something related to school (wildlife biology), so DH is going to fly out there for a week. Anyone been there? Anything in particular she should prepare for?
    btw - she's 20 yrs old.
    Thanks in advance!

2. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    My son went last year on a mission trip with the church. He found out......misqitoes can get begger than at home....It can be hotter and more humid than at home.....BQ spam is good if you done't know what your eatting when you take your first bite.......They eat ALOT of spam........He had the most up lifting time and met some very good people, even some that were in prison. TAKE BUG SPRAY! ONLY DRINK BOTTLED WATER! It will rain at least once a day.

3. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Thanks, caspernc!
    Did he have to get any vaccines before he went?

4. caspernc

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    No he didn't and didn't have to get a pass port. You probly should contact the health dept to see if they recomend any. My son got to go becasue someone had to drop out, so we had only two days to get ready. They bought their pillows and sheets down there then donated them to the church there to save bagage. really no need for a blanket. Nothing else I can think of.
    Oh yeah the bed bugs! As soon as you get off the plane either burn everythng or stop by a laundry mat and put EVERYTHING in a big dryer for 20 min. on high. Don't even take the clothes you have on in the house. Strip outside and put everythng in the dryer or burn.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Everywhere I went they would either give us bottled water or tell us the water was OK, which I trusted without problem. Agree on bug spray. Local foods are delish -- lots of veggies and beans and rice. Don't wear contacts if you go see the active volcano that you walk up to the rim of -- very sulphurous air there -- sorry I have forgotten the namebut it is on the Atlantic side. There's one on the Pacific side that you never get very close to, no problem. Not as hot as I expected, especially up in the mountains, no worse than here. Their driving habits aren't exactly like ours -- you might not want to watch! Went some places via small plane or boat, no riads -- wonderful trip.

6. caspernc

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Yeah he said the driving was CRAZY! And there were moter cycles EVERYWHERE. He did spend some tome in the mountains during the day working on a camp for kids and had some wild things to say about the wildlife there. But he really enjoyed it.

7. thebritt

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'll definately pass that on!

Thanks for all the info everyone!

8. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    My nephew is going to CR this summer on a Mission Trip. As far as I know he did not have to have any shots, or anything special. He is 27 and has done summer mission trips since he was 18, I am so proud of him! Make sure she takes lots of pics, trips like this are awesome memory makers.

X2 on the Bed Bugs, my nephew mentioned that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by