DH is going to make me lose my chickens.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sheila3935, Feb 21, 2011.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Some times I have to work the evening shift. That means my DH or DD have to put the chickens up for the night. We have had our chickens for almost a year so this isnt a new thing. Last night for instance, DH came to meet me for lunch at 5 pm I asked him had he put the chickens up. DD was at work til 6:30. He said no they'll put themselves up. I told him we have to go home to put them up. He was like they will be fine they will go into their coops. Yes I know that but what else will go in with them... To make a long story short I went home to lock up the chickens on my lunch. How do I convince my DH that this has to be done or we will end up losing chickens? I have been fighting this battle since we started with chickens.

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Get an automatic pop door?

Sounds like a losing battle, unfortunately.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Chickens will put themselves up for the night, no need to "herd" them back in if it is still daylight. Of course you would have a few stragglers that needs to be reminded when it is dark, time to go to bed.

If hubby is not on the same page as you are, then you will have to continue to run home for lunch to put the girls up. Or if you have an outside dog, and your chickens are in the pen, you can stake your dog outside at night until you get home, that would be a good deterant for coons and possums and feral cats that would want to kill your chickens.

If your coop and run are combined, are they predator proofed? What time do you get home?

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Never thought of that one, BYC has an ad for it....go check it out!!!!!!!! this idea is BEST!

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have been thinking of an automatic door. I work crazy hours usually days on the weekend being 7-4 and during the week anywhere from 1-11. DD is very good about getting out at dusk to lock them up but Dh not as good. He thinks I baby them. I would have thought losing a duck last summer because he didnt lock them up to a raccoon would have convinced him. I do have a run but they really like to have free range of their part of the yard. I dont trust my dogs. I keep them apart.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Have you tried putting the killed bird on his side of the bed? Bet one time would cure him.[​IMG]

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I agree.

8. Aubrinator

Aubrinator Out Of The Brooder

I get distressed sometimes about the same thing, I had a close call with a cat once. I left the bridge on the tractor up and 2 were on the perch, one on the top of the coop! I took her down and managed to get 2 in, but the third stayed out. After about 30 seconds, I came back out to make sure she had gone in (it was cold and I was worried) and there was an orange CAT stalking my precious Cleo! she was safe in the coop, and that cat got the yelling of a lifetime, but I shudder to think about what would've happened if we came home a minute later. [​IMG] I hope you don't lose your chickies. But I advise you keep them safe.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Now, this is just my opinion, which I often get in trouble for expressing, but a husband should care about what his wife cares about. He doesn't have to love the chickens, but he needs to pay attention to their care when you can't because he is your husband. My sons, who are in their 30's and didn't have the benefit of the experience of raising chickens because we were active duty military, don't even want to hold one, but I told my older son once that if anything happened to me and his dad and the birds were left alone, he'd better darn well make sure my birds do not go hungry or thirsty and to immediately call my friend to rally the BYC troops and come down and get them. I told him he should care for their welfare because they are important to his mom, period.

10. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Quote:I so agree! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by