DH is making me want to scream!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Dar, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    We have had a rough few years, cancer with my mom, victims of violence, job loss, ect.. you name it we have gone through it in the last few years.

so this year we decided that we deserve a family vacation! [​IMG] so we booked our trip to cuba last month and the countdown begins...

well dh went to work and requested his vacation time and pay. their response was well we will give you your time off but you wont get paid for it till July 2010 [​IMG]
    we dont pay vacation pay out at the time the vacation was taken we pay out at our years end.

their years end is in july, because they are part of the auto sector they are "shut down" the first 2 weeks in july and everyone is expected to take their vacation time then.

but here's where the sticky part is... because DH is head of the maintenance department he is blocked out from taking his vacation at this time.

In 2006 we argued this "policy" because the way i see it is they are in essence telling him he cant have a paid vacation ever... and in 2006 they seen it my way and agreed to pay him his vacation when he took it. In doing so they set a precedent.

This year they refuse, dead set refuse to budge on their decision. so it looks like I will cancel DH's ticket and take the kids on vacation by my self. so much for a "family vacation"

what chaps my rear is that he will get phone calls and text messages on his weekends off, before and after his shift starts or after his shift has ended and he jumps to make them happy. I have been thinking about canceling his cell phone (I am the primary account holder and I pay the bill) and I have even refused to let them talk to DH when they call the house, because all the time they spend on the phone he is not being paid for.

I know i am going to get stepped on for saying this but DH needs to grow a pair or quit his job and find one that does not take advantage of him.

I know i know i should be thankful that he has a job bla bla bla but when this job is taking you away from your family and taking advantage of the fact that you are close to the plant asking you to work and not being paid for it... enough is enough! man i am [​IMG]

(eta: hey red wanna go to cuba?...lol)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2009
  2. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    The grocery business is like that too. DH was a manager for 20+ years. He had 5 weeks paid vacation and that would only get paid once a year. It's a pain. Right when you need the money, you're actually bringing in less money.

I'm a little confused, are they not paying him his vacation pay at all? Or are they paying him his 2 weeks vacation, plus time worked during the first two weeks of July, at the end of July. If he's not getting it all, than yes, you should definitely make some noise. If he does get paid for his vacation, all though incovenient in timing, then I say just suck it up. I'm not sure how jobs are in your area, but I'm sure there are many people who would be willing to put up with any inconvenience to be working right now. I'm not saying you don't have a right to be angry, perhaps right now just isn't the best time to be job-hopping and losing seniority (for whatever that's worth nowadays).

You didn't mention if he was salary or hourly? Salaried personnel, for the benefit of having a steady paycheck, are basically on-call. However, salaried personnel can also leave early and call in sick without being docked (at least for my co). If he's hourly, I'd being making some noise about all the "free-time" he's working.

I'm a little fuzzy on my HR, so hopefully someone with more knowledge will speak up and correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    My hubby doesn't get paid vacation. He earns hours that go toward sick time or vacation. After you take time off from being sick, there's not much left for vacation. Maybe a day at most. [​IMG]

4. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    He is hourly we worked it out and every year the amount of hours that he puts in for free working from home over the phone = over $5000

they will pay the vacation pay in July + his hours worked for that week... BUT what they do is tack it all onto one cheque so it raises his tax bracket, so he looses more the 50% in taxes

and my hubby does not get sick days, it is an unpaid day off

5. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Well, I hate to say it, but it seems that if he didn't like it or tolerate it well, he wouldn't answer the phone. Perhaps he gets some satisfaction from it?

6. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:if he does not answer his cell they will call the home and get me and thats never a good thing

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Typically managers are paid a salary, not wages. And in many industries expected to work longer or irregular hours as needed. Salaried pay is usually higher than hourly wages for the same level of responsibility, although there are some jobs that are paid hourly that result in a higher income level than some salaried positions (for example a high-level wage earner vs a low-level salaried employee). When your husband was hired or promoted or given raises, increased responsibilities and time requirements were likely discussed.

Your husband needs to look at his employee handbook to see exactly what it says about paid vacations, and he needs to review his benefit package and see what THAT says as well.

IMO, you should never refuse to transfer a work call to your spouse. If you have a problem with him taking calls from work, then it is an issue you need to discuss when you are both calm, but it is HIS job, not yours. Would you want him to refuse to give you the phone when a friend of yours calls that he doesn't happen to care for?

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Tax bracket is not set by the amount of $$$ in one paycheck, but rather by the whole income.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd go ahead and go rather than scrap the whole family vacation.....and just wait to collect on the vacation when they do their normal payout.

10. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:not her its not...the way his office does payroll is they will estimate from cheque to cheque which bracket he falls into to aviod paying taxes at the end of the year.. if he works more the 62 hours a week then the rest will go to taxes so its not worth it

and as for the phone and me not transferring the calls to him... its my phone its in my name and i pay the bill if they dont like thats to bad... they can pay for a phone for him to be available 27/7

and i know that seems like I am throwing tude but its not meant to sound like that... DH is a push over he will let people walk on him and he will not stand up for his rights, he missed a lot out of our childrens lives because he chose work over family... and it has led to a really tough relationship between him and the children

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by