dh is not pleased with me....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by crimsnchic, May 11, 2009.

1. crimsnchic

crimsnchic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    I have been doing lots of research on here and some other sites to figure out how to build our coop and our run for our pullets. I convinced my dh that we needed to bury wire and put a skirt around the run, put locks on all openings, essentially do all we can to make it the fort knox of coop/runs since we live in the boonies [​IMG] So we are almost done with the predator proofing and my dh goes to visit our neighbor and he comes back to tell me they have a pvc frame run with chicken wire over it and no locks... I had to inform him of all the stuff I have read and that our chicks are pets and I want them protected! ugh...

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Unfortunantly he will most likely see the truth behind it when/if ( I do not wish this on him just stating a very likely possibility) your nieghbor is over asking for some eggs or chickens as his got eaten by the one stray dog in town... I always opt for safety first... Batten down the hactches and protect those babies , you'll sleep much better if you do...

3. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    That is funny. My husband has been on board with the predator proofing. But he also knows full well of all the racoons, possum, skunks, coyoties, foxes, and hawks in our area. We have a fight with the coons every summer over our sweet corn crop. We both hunt on our property out in the back fields, but he has been the lucky one to see all the wild animals our area has to offer. Have your husband read some post about the pedatores and pest section and he might change his mind.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  4. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

LOL I was the one who wanted chooks, HE was the one who thought we should skirt, then I figured out he was right. Good thing my dad comes for vacation soon and is a master pen builder cause I need him!

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Hee hee! Funny, me and DH have been going back and forth about the coop that we're about to build. I managed to get him to realize that we needed linoleum down under the litter that we'll put in the actual indoor coop. His grief is that I want two separate runs and a way to separate the coop so that I can have one of them as a breeding pen to separate out a breed from the rest. I already have one existing run/sorta coop with 3 walls and their roost in it. I want two more so to speak. Also, he wants to build the runs much shorter than I want them built. Back and forth and back and forth. [​IMG] I'll probably have to start buying the stuff I need and doing it myself.

6. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Look on the bright side... at least he saw the neighbor's setup AFTER you built your stronghold! [​IMG]

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    DH thought I was crazy when we built our first coop. He got the choice of where to put it and what to make the run out of. The run has since been changed and he's wishing he listened to me on where to put it so there would have been room for a bigger run. [​IMG]

The chick coop he has helped when I needed it and questioned a couple things but, when I explained why it was to be the way I wanted it, was fine with it. [​IMG]

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You know, it seemed to take us FOREVER to get our run completed due to the predator proofing part of it. Well, I work full time, and I cannot freerange my chickens while I'm not home, because we have lots of fox (and recently reported coyotes).

I can't tell you how good it feels to be able to leave home and know my chickens are all safe! It's worth the initial extra expense and time, for SURE!

9. crimsnchic

crimsnchic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Quote:I know!

10. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    tell him you don't want to worry about the birds, you really appreciate the work and make him his favorite meal. might be best to let him sort out the specific engineering once you explain the requirements.
    i'm lucky. it's my wife that thinks i allways overbuild. and then she realizes there were no problems with the project and it never needed to be redone..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by