DH just called - oh the stepdaughter saga *rolling eyes*

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gritsar, Jan 31, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    DH called from work to tell me that his ex wife just called him at work to tell him that the re-possessors were at her house to pick up SD#2's car. His ex demanded that HE doing something about it.

Ummm, hello? What's he supposed to do about it? Two or three years ago when #2 just had to have a new car (the classic mustang he gave her for her 18th birthday wasn't good enough) DH gave her the remainder of her inheritence from her grandma; $28,000. The deal was that she was to bank the money and have her car payments automatically deducted from the account. This was to build up her credit, vs. just paying it all in cash for the car which wouldn't have done a thing for her credit score.

The plan would have worked fine, except that instead of doing that #2 quit her job and lived off the money until it ran out. Only then did we find out what she had done. She hasn't held a job for more than 2 weeks at a time since then.

This on top of both girls coming up here last night (the groceries we bought them must have run out) and SD#1 strongly hinting around about needing a $1000 so that she can take a CNA course, instead of looking for a job right away so she can make HER car payments. She's just recently left her husband.

Back when he gave #2 the money, he got a call the very next day from #1 wanting the rest of her inheritence (also, $28,000) "to go back to school". Only instead of going back to school she and her husband spent the money on new furniture, a big screen TV and a down payment on a truck that they couldn't afford, that has since been re-possessed.

And now his ex has the nerve to call and demand that HE do something about the mess his girls have made?

Is there a smiley stronger than the rolling eyes one? [​IMG]

2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Yikes! Sounds like the girls have been given every oppertunity, and it's time for them to learn from their mistakes. Daddy doesn't need to bail them out again.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Sounds like daddy needs to 'splain to his little girlies the concept of consequences. I'd have one word for them....SUFFER! [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, he's going to tell them that they made their bed and now they'll have to lie in it.

If that doesn't work I'm going to show the them our 20 year old furniture, our "old-fashioned" TVs and the titles to our vehicles...all paid off because we actually worked to pay them off. [​IMG]

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It is sad that they have created this much chaos in their lives, but any bale out would be enabling and ensuring that they will continue to expect that Daddy will always be around to fix things. Then they would never have to grow up and deal with the real world.

Grit I hope your DH won't cave into the DDs.

6. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Please tell him not to cave. Hit him over the head if necessary. My parents caved to my older sister constantly. now I have a 53 year old sister who cannot take care of herself, is a total financial wreck, and a constant worry for my parents because they just don't know how she will survive if they are not around to bail her out. They are young. Its time to learn.

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    The hardest thing I ever had to do as a parent was to tell one of ours you'll figure it out. When she was 18 she moved out thought she knew everything and no one could tell her nothing. Her and her boyfriend got kicked out of their apartment. She called crying what am I going to do? I said you'll figure it out. That was a turning point in her life. She did figure it out and today is her birthday she turned 30 has been with BF for over 10 years and they work and pay their bills. The only thing she asks us for now is for eggs. [​IMG]

8. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I think Dad needs to cut the purse strings to #1 and to #2!
    [​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I demand he do something too.

Tell them to grow up! [​IMG]

sorry, sometimes I just get carried away [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by