DH just got his "pink slip" to the unemployment line

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by suenrob, Feb 6, 2009.

1. suenrob

suenrob Songster

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    We have known for a while that his job was in jeopardy. That's really why we got into chickens in the first place. We were looking for ways to become more self sufficient in the event of a lay off. So we have plenty of chickens and eggs. We just put our cow on the freezer, so we have beef. I know we won't starve. (I also pray alot)

Just curious to know how the rest of you are dealing with unemployment.

2. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Oy! That's awful. I'm sooo sorry! Praying that he can find something else soon.

No unemployment here, but my dad is a self-employed arborist, and all the local mills have shut down (temporary lay-offs) for at least eight weeks. It's rough on everyone right now.

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Songster

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    My DH has been off since Dec. 12th, me Dec. 16th. Unemployment for this state isn't the greatest [​IMG] My brother got laid off in PA and makes more in unemployment per week than my DH and I combined. We just got a certified letter for our insurance, they are switching us to Cobra and we should get our paperwork within 30 days. [​IMG] I can't even imagine what family Cobra plan is gonna cost us.

4. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I've had to thin my flock down as we were going through more feed and needed to save money since my dad got laid off and I was already laid off. I have been trying really hard to sale stuff on zazzle, redbubble, and places like that. Before it was just a hobby, now it is my only way to make money besides the sale of chickens until I get a new job. There are no extra fun things anymore but we will survive. I have also went through rooms and sold whatever I know I don't want and really have no need for at auction. When we moved here we had so many boxes and a year later I still had boxes I had not unpacked. I figured if I didn't even bother to unpack it it was not important to me and could go.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  5. iajewel

iajewel Songster

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    sooo many nation wide are being effected by lack of jobs. This is the time where free range poultry really can earn thier way back into the lives on those who other wise woudn't have owned them, or just had them as pets. the eggs and meat will be invaluable to many now that before didn't need chickens.
    A few tips on free feed..
    Local groshers through away allot of food every day,old veggies, fruits etc. They will give you this for free as they have to pay to have it hauled off. Yes you will have compost and trash in it as well.. but its worth it.
    bread stores normally charge very little for thier day old bags of other wise un-saleable items. Wonder bred is one I know will sell a huge bag of old bred for 1-5.00

This is gross.. but if I was desprate I would do it..school lunch trash cans. Free nothing but food and all good for a chicken.

Just for fun I ask for a bag of laying feed at my local feed store. They charged me 18.00 for it. A bag of bean meal is 8.00 mixed with a 3.00 bag of cracked corn.. same thing.

those old year old cull roos, boil them and feed them back to your birds. Grandma always did this.

Extra eggs, boil them and feed them back

plant rye seed, it will come up first.

Its hard times and they wont' get better soon, those chickens can give us all luxury in time of other wise poverty.

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Hey cluckychick, does your state have any coverage for uninsured kids?

When DH was getting laid off that was the first thing I checked on. Once our income dropped to only mine, the kids were eligible for state coverage. DH and I would not be eligible until after 90 days.

(We got very very very lucky and DH was only out a week. Hope you are as fortunate!)

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I am so sorry to hear that. It seems like it is happening way too much. We have been lucky so far. However we have had to severly change our lifestyle to compensate for the things that are going up in price. We live in a very rural community so we have 1 choice for a grocery store, pharmacy, drug store, feed store and so on. These people need to make a living also so their prices go up. Just when we think we have cut back all we can we have to find something else we can live without. Really makes me glad to have my chickens. Fresh "free" breakfast and cheaper entertainment than TV, which we don't have any more!!

8. coloradochick

coloradochick Songster

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG]

Know what you're feeling. My DH came home lastnight and said they were told that today would be their last day on the job. He drives his own truck with a side dump trailer but there is nothing happening around here. I stay home due to my Special Needs son so I'm not sure what were going to do. Thank goodness he's a very good truck mechanic and can do that on the side. Problem is no one can afford to get their trucks or cars fixed right now. It's a very scary time right now. Prayers to all who are going through this mess. Let's keep our heads held high and have faith [​IMG]

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Our situation slightly different. DBF worked for an investment company where the means of tracking funds were not up to standard. After suffering high anxiety that someone could move funds without others' knowledge, he left last March.

Months later: Madroff, Ponzi scheme. Granted, those didn't happen where he worked, but he was afraid that kind of things could have happened where he was.

He has applied for job after job after job. He finally applied for food stamps and that's partly how we've survived without going into further debt (I have a job that's as secure as any job could be in this economy, I suppose).

DBF finally got a "job" converting cars to all electric last fall. It's essentially a partnership with another guy. He's been doing that ever since, and has been working hard with his new business partner to generate interest and funds. He has been innovating new technologies and learning high end CAD software as a means to create these vehicles.

It's been hard, really hard. We've done without for a long time now. There were no gifts for my birthday, nor for Christmas. I handmade gifts for my family and spent less than $40 total on everyone.

The business is finally starting to get nibbles - the kind of people who have the funds for this type of project haven't been as hard hit as the rest of us - and we're praying it comes through.

Every time he hears of some idiot on TV or on the radio ruining their jobs, he mutters, "and I'm the one who can't get a job".

10. cluckychick

cluckychick Songster

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

Hey cluckychick, does your state have any coverage for uninsured kids? Yes, I called today and they are sending me an application. There is no adult coverage in MO.

When DH was getting laid off that was the first thing I checked on. Once our income dropped to only mine, the kids were eligible for state coverage. DH and I would not be eligible until after 90 days.

(We got very very very lucky and DH was only out a week. Hope you are as fortunate!)

When he first got laid off they said Jan. 5th, then it was the end of Jan. now who knows. He makes silencers for the automotive industry. They are compontents that go in your doors and such to make your ride quite. He doesn't just make them for one automotive but many. Actually Ford is the only company they don't do any for.

Hopefully they will call back soon but he's got apps. out in the off chance he finds something in the meantime.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by