DH killed a monster CopperHead today. What's the deal this yr.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nccountrygirl, Jun 26, 2008.

1. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    We have lived in our house over 8 yrs now and this is the first yr. we have seen Copperheads. The one Jeff killed today was over 4 ft. long and about 4 inches round. We were backing down our driveway and I asked Jeff if that was a limb in the yard, as soon as I said it we saw the tail move so Jeff gets the hoe and brains him with a brick then wacks his head off. It's getting where I'm scared to walk out in the yard.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    We're having problems here in VA with the snakes also. All I can think is that it has something to do with the drought we had last year, the mild winter we had, all of the rain we had this spring, and now we are headed for a drought again. There isn't any other explanation for it. [​IMG]

3. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Way to go Jeff, the only good copperhead is a dead one in my opinion. I know everytime I walk in our yard I am always looking down and out and I must check the chicken house a million times a day and keep spreading that sulphur. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I think you're spot on with the drought. Atlanta is actually experiencing an influx of bears right now. Houses=water=plants=rodents=predators.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We are "down east" in NC. We see a couple copperheads every year but they are on the small side. Last fall and this year it's rattlesnakes. About a week ago there was one in our front yard that had a bad accident and suddenly dropped dead. Inside it was full size squirrel!

On a good note though, we were having a bad mice problem in our feed shed. Once day I saw a corn snake going in the door and by the time I got over there it was behind a big stack of feed. I wasn't about to move a ton of feed so I let my wife know there was one in there and to keep an eye out for it. Since then I found a shed snake skin, we have used all the feed and NO mice and no snake. As far as I'm concerned it could have stayed in there and ate mice!

Steve in NC

6. cherokeechicken

cherokeechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    anchorage,alaska
    we are down south, in the foothills of the appilacins, so for we have seen 4 copperheads, 6 black snakes,1 black water snake, and 1 rattle snake with 13 rattles and a button. it is bad this year as we live next to a lake... something has to change either i move are the snakes will have to go ....this is not to mention all the wolf and brown recluse spiders around here...

7. nccountrygirl

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Steve, the good snakes can stay and eat the mice to there heart content, BUT the Copperheads have to go. My husband was almost bitten by one in the chicken run a couple of weeks ago so that makes 2 in less than 2 weeks. We very rarely see non venomous snakes as all of the yard cats I have keep the rat population down.

8. nccountrygirl

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
  9. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Drought is here again actually looks worse than last year at this time, however we did get rain last night. Snakes know to travel to water where their food supply will be drinking at. [​IMG] Lots of small branches and creeks have done dried up around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by