DH made ONE training mistake - GRRRRR!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Jan 20, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Jax (our GSD) has always known that furniture is a no-no, especially our bed. He has never tried to get up on any of the furniture.
    The other day DH was lounging around in bed and called Jax to join him.
    Now I can't open the bedroom door that Jax doesn't run in and jump on the bed. I tell him to go to bed, meaning his crate, and he takes a flying leap right into our bed.
    This problem will be addressed or DH will be buying us a california king sized bed very soon. [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

3. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Yeah, we bought a king size bed 2 months ago. Best purchase eva! [​IMG]

Bluemoon

4. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Grits, if Jax [​IMG] is already getting a bit pushy and manly you would be better off letting him sleep in his crate. Sleeping in your bed is a status position and if he is freely allowed on the bed his status has just been raised. Make sure he doesn't raise himself to second in command.

That being said, our dogs are allowed on the furniture and the bed and we always have the most senior dog as the designated bed dog who gets to sleep with us.

It just depends what you want.

And by the way, DHs are really good at making training mistakes. My dogs view my DH like Santa. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Vida and Pogo get to sleep on the bed. Pogo doesn't like to sleep on the bed...but Vida must be touching me at some point throughout the entire night.

If it's only her foot...she's fine, she just has to touch.

6. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

What brindle just said [​IMG] We have one dog who sleeps on the bed at night. ( Not Sophie) Sophie would get into too much trouble looking for something to chew on. The dog that does sleep on the bed is a BIG boy, and tends to stretch out as much as he can. [​IMG] When I tell him move yer behind, he moves it.

When we were looking for a new mattress, I declared, " We are getting a king bed!" and now I can stretch out as much as I can. [​IMG]

Bluemoon

7. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i only allow Ein on my bed during weekends since i would not get much sleep during the week if he was in there-he paces and will look for things to chew on if he doesn't have a toy. the only time during the week i allow him to be in bed with me is while i'm falling asleep and before my dh takes him out one last time before putting him in the pen for the night.

i know how hard it is when training routines get changed. i tried to let Ein into the bed when we first got him but i found that he needed to have more discipline before i would allow it. after a year i will allow it on occasion, but he can be such a bed/blanket hog when you give him the space if he hasn't been told to lay at the end of the bed.

8. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:LOL [​IMG] My dogs view my husband as the "feel good" parent as well. Except Foenix, who is MY dog....Eric isn't much of a consideration for him. Zeke our Papillon is definately a daddys boy and will try and run to Eric if i tell him to do something he doesn't like the sound of (such as 'bath time') lol

9. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    [​IMG] To funny!
    Our dogs are not allowed on my bed. They can get on any other furniture they want. Only one likes to be on the couches anyways so not a big deal.
    During Christmas my hubby was bed hopping. started with the kids, to crowded so he came back to ours, kids eventually followed, he went back to their bed leaving me with the kids. In the morning he was again squished as he had both the boys around him! Mace was sharing the pillow even! [​IMG]

10. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:LOL [​IMG] My dogs view my husband as the "feel good" parent as well. Except Foenix, who is MY dog....Eric isn't much of a consideration for him. Zeke our Papillon is definately a daddys boy and will try and run to Eric if i tell him to do something he doesn't like the sound of (such as 'bath time') lol

Actually they are all *my* dogs. You obviously know what I mean. [​IMG] They love me and respect me and don't jump on me and won't insist on licking my face or piling on to me when I sit down on the sofa. They also do what I tell them.

Now take what I said the opposite way and that is what they do to DH except for the love part. He kind of likes it, though. [​IMG]

When DH tells them to get in their crates they will come running to me with big eyes going "He's not the boss of us!". I ALWAYS reinforce whatever DH said, but it doesn't seem to matter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by