DH said we can get a goat! UPDATE: She's home!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by michickenwrangler, Oct 29, 2009.

1. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    We've been buying 2 gal of goat milk a week from our neighbor and she suggested that I get my own goat to keep over there (says she has room for 3 more). She has the setup and a billy. DH gave me the go ahead and I've been looking.

Seasoned dairy goat owners, what do you suggest? Any advice to give a newbie? I just bought Hobby Farms Goat book and I got out all my own Hobby Farm magazines to read up.

I'm excited!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Woohoo! Congrats!

Shelly

3. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Quote:If your neighbor's being nice enough to offer up a place to keep the goat, get her in on the decision for sure. Last thing you want to do is introduce a nuisance to her herd...like, perhaps she keeps gentle, quiet LaManchas and you throw a noisy, pushy Nubian at her. That sort of thing could ruin the whole arrangement pretty quickly.

That's my advice, I guess...to ask for and take her advice.

Sounds like a really good neighbor, btw.. She's charging a boarding fee, I assume?

4. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    She already has nosy pushy Nubians! Yes, she WILL go with me. She not only has more experience with goats, but I insisted. I've done enough horse trading to know you always take someone else.

Yes, she is charging me board, slightly more than the cost of feed (we sat down and figured out price of grain, hay and how much her goats through as an estimate). Which we'd have to pay anyway. She has a nice divided barn, milking area and kidding stall along with a nice grassy run. Does are separate from Mr. Blue-eyd Billy the buck.

5. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I ended up getting an American LaMancha, blue papered. She's brown and black with white splotches named Cloverbud. She's by herself for now, getting to know the other goats over the fence. I'll post a picture soon! Still kind of shy around me, but she's at least sniffing me and watching me.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Congrats! [​IMG]

Can't wait to see pictures! [​IMG]

7. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Pictures! We must see pictures!! [​IMG]

8. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    [​IMG][/img]

Here she is. I'm actually a little worried about her. She's not been eating hay. She'll eat her grain and she's been chewing cud, but she hasn't made any noticeable difference in her timothy.

She doesn't have blue eyes. That's just the glare from the light.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  9. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    LUCKY! She is beautiful! I have always wanted another goat (while since this year anyways) but have to wait until next year. I think Im going to be tricky though and buy a preggers female so I end up with more then one! (dont tell anyone though!) Congrats on the new arrival!

10. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Lamanchas are my favorite dairy breed. She is beautiful! She might just need more time to settle in before she starts eating her hay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by