DH shot a what?! In the house?!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by key west chick, Sep 7, 2009.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    So I'm sitting here bouncing between BYC and FB. Hear a little noise under the computer table, a little to my right. Dog hears it also. I look in the corner, notice my fairly new bag of birdseed is all over the floor, and theres this little nose poking out from behind a box. Dern baby rat. [​IMG] So I yell for DH to get the 22, go grab the flashlight and pop, he shoots the bugger. I start moving stuff to sweep up the mess and saw another one! [​IMG] Pop. Finish sweeping, no more. Now I'm wondering where mom is? [​IMG] They are old enough to be on their own but sheez, 2 in one spot?

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Shudder

3. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    ewwwwwwwe

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You'll find more. Get some glue strips.

5. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Yep, figure there's more. I've been hearing something in the walls.... Now I know. Put bait out already. I'll get'um. Beady little eyed vermin.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh my, [​IMG] A friend of mine was cleaning his .22 one day and shot a roach, in the house. Spent 4 days repairing the plumbing he'd shot through. [​IMG]

Two in one spot? Sure, that where the good stuff is!

I always store all feeds outside in metal trash cans, for the very reason of rodents! And birdseed gets those little bugs and moths, too. Hopefully you can trap the mama, seal the house up tighter and never have to deal with it again.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    2 shots 2 dead, good shootin way to go.

AL

8. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Sealing this house is a joke. The girl that owns it is a friend of ours. Dh did alot of work himself to help her with the cost of updating but she still ran out of money. When we first moved in it was awful. Bugs of all kinds and some rats. We bomb occasionally and got the rats. I haven't seen one in about 2 years until now. I guess one found its way in again. I do keep all my animal feed out in the shed in metal cans but occasionally see one in there also. Those rats are used for paintball target practice.

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    yer scrood. I'm fighting mice right now. Glue traps. snap traps, bait bricks up high where dogs can't get them, wash wash wash everything all the time till my fingers turn to prunes. I'm still getting a little "gift" under the cutting board, in the silverware drawer, (wash all that stuff again! YUK!) under the microwave...

This is the worst time I have ever had with the mice EVER!!! I have found that the bait bars by Tomcat work pretty well. I have gotten one of the metal live mouse traps, got several in there, They just keep on coming like an army. CRIMINY! They seem to wise up to the glue traps after two days, then a week later you can use them again.

My sister moved her junk out of the garage a few weeks ago and I think that is what caused my invasion. There were mice in her boxes and she shook them loose before she packed her stuff off. Thanks for nothing!!! Luckily, no rats, just mice, but STILL! Same thing! My condolences.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I moved into a rental house in Austin TX in early 1990's- there were 3 baby possums living in the living room. Good thing it was very cheap rent! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by