DH taught me a trick for opening clamshell packaging

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gritsar, Sep 11, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You know those annoying plastic packages that take forever to open and usually require an ax or machete to open?

We had one to open tonight and he used my hand can opener. Worked great!

Said he read about it online somewhere.

By the way, am I the only person in the world still using a hand can opener? I despise the electric ones. I'd get a "swingaway" but really don't have a convenient place to hang one.

2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Nope....we use a hand can opener here. [​IMG] That's a great idea!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I was told 25 years ago by a friend that electric can openers were not "cool". To this day I won't own or use an electric can opener. [​IMG]

Imp-I'm such a follower

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

manual can opener here too! I got a small handheld rechargable electric one when I had a really bad broken arm/wrist cause I absolutely couldn't manage the crank, but haven't used it since it healed.

thanx for the tip!

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Thanks for sharing this! And now I've read it somewhere online and can put it into practice.

Yes I also have a manual can opener. It's a necessity here in South Fla where h-words (can't say it out loud) can knock out the electricity for weeks at a time. You gotta have something to open all those cans of nonperishable food you've stocked up with. And since our electric opener just broke -- and I've no $$$ to replace it -- we'll go back to using the manual one year 'round.

I grew up with a manual can opener & am more used to it than the electric one. We had one of those Swing-Away wall models & it lasted my whole childhood. I don't mind using one now, it provides an opportunity for a little cardio workout before you eat the calories in the can.

Thinking of my busted electric can opener, remember when you could take a small appliance to a repair shop and it would cost you less to fix it than to buy a new one?

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Manual here too. My sis and I both have arthritis, andshe swears tht her elelctric one is best, but I have a great hand one that doewn't bug my wrist or fingers. I sure hope it never wears out!!!!!!!!!!!
    so how do you open the clamshel wth a can opener???

7. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I have one of the old ones that are fastened to the wall and has a hand crank on it!!! Its probably 50 years old, but it works great!!!!!

8. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Thanks for the tip gritsar. Battery packages are a common thing around here.

Yep, manual here too.

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I complained to my grandmother that my manual can opener was missing (my son throws stuff away all the time) so she gave me BACK the rechargeable hand held one I gave her for Christmas [​IMG] I H A T E it!

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Those are swingaways. I love em! May still try to find a cabinet to hang one on yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by