1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DH wants to light the chickens, I don't want to...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickensducks&agoose, Dec 21, 2010.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that the chickens deserve the break they take every year from Thanksgiving-Groundhog day... DH just came back from Afghanistan with a craving for eggs... we're getting an egg (yes, one) every other day from 23 hens. The youngest 4 were born in June, but the others are either from April, or the april before, so they are old enough... They've had a month off from laying already, how long is long enough? I want happy healthy hens who are going to lay for a long time.

2. jbrown_14105

jbrown_14105 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Good afternoon,
    Have you tried a timer and a 60 watt light before dawn?
    2-3 hours of light before dawn helps with my "girls" in egg production.
    Jim Brown
    Lockport NY

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I got a mental image of your husband out there with charcoal lighter and match preparing to "light" the chickens.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    [​IMG]

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I don't blame your husband--I'd light a few if you have 23 first-year hens and are getting only one egg a day. Even without extra daylight they should be doing better than that--I'd say give them an extra couple of hours of light in the morning. Besides, if he's just back from Afghanistan he deserves a few fresh eggs--if he were closer I'd be glad to supply them from my lighted chickens. BTW, I'm not so sure they need a 3 month break from laying anyway--mine never get one and they do fine.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I have a light on with a timer. I have not seen any problems with that little extra light. If you consider that hens in southern states and countries to the south have more light than we do in the northern states. Then if that extra light at this time of year was harmful, one would have assume that the southern chickens would not be as healthy as the northern chickens. Since that isn't true, I just can't see the harm in a little extra light.

7. chickensducks&agoose

Quote:well, when he discovered that they'd been using a shelf in his toolshed as a roost, and his socket set was caked with poo, that was certainly a possibility!

I told him that we can get a timer, and can add some light to their mornings, but my feeling is that it's not so good for them to lay, lay, lay, without a good break... am I nuts?

8. woodmort

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    chickensducks&agoose :

I told him that we can get a timer, and can add some light to their mornings, but my feeling is that it's not so good for them to lay, lay, lay, without a good break... am I nuts?

We're all nuts to one degree or another or we'd be buying our eggs at the store but your chickens are going to be ok. When they decide they have laid too much, they'll go into moult and quit for a while.​

9. chickensducks&agoose

Awesome. Thanks! I'll send him out to get a timer... what kind of timer do you use?

10. woodmort

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    chickensducks&agoose :

Awesome. Thanks! I'll send him out to get a timer... what kind of timer do you use?

Lowe's has a lot of timers now for Christmas lights. I just picked up a UTILITECH 0224879--works for 48 hrs worth of on/off setting but there are no pins that can get lost.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by