Dharma's Drama and Ponder's Problem update...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by walkswithdog, Oct 19, 2008.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Dharma is a four day old partridge rock. he's already made a name for himself. he will try to climb anything, get behind or beside anything. if i were not careful he'd be under stuff as i clean and replace. he's the only chick with a spot between his eyes.

he's one of the red/browns and therefore, friendlier, squattier and bigger than most of the others. if he were as aloof as the sole well marked, partridge racing stripe chick, Dharma would likely already be toast. he saves his own life every time he climbs on my hand to sit.

Today Dharma managed to worm beside the waterer and get stuck, poopy and cold. he cried. i kept going to look for the crying chick and couldn't find one.

the difference in a moving group of chicks between 25 and 24 is really hard to see, counting the little dashing bodies is like trying to stop the tide.

Finally i just got a box and started yanking out chicks and counting. 24... what the heck, where is that peeping coming from? Answer the idiot behind the waterer. lift it away to find Dharma, damp, sore, cold and cranky.

more chicken butt washing, towel drying and blow drying. From how fast he napped out in the warm air i'm figuring that part felt pretty good.

i made some sugar water and held him in the sun, nudging drops into his beak every little bit, cursing him roundly but well, kind of softly.

A few cycles of nap and drink and he finally woke up and started fussing about being held. i took him back and set him next to the waterer, now further from the wall... he drank, went over, ate and headed for a nap. he's still some sore when someone jumps on him but he appears to be doing well. Tomorrow he'll get a better bath but i figured a faster warm up was more important.

This bird is sooo not long for this world and he's only on DAY FOUR. i can only begin to imagine what he's going to get into once he has access to the outdoors. if he doesn't die of an escapade BEFORE then, or i don't throttle his little self for being a ROYAL pain.

Anybody ever tells you all chickens are alike, well you already know it's not true, but you go on and tell them about Dharma the daring Dodo. And the on going drama of whether the little idiot lives or dies. And I am NOT smiling at all fondly...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG] I loved that story! Take it from me, the ones that require more attention are the ones who really steal your heart.

3. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Great story! Glad Dharma is still ok! Ohh I can totally relate! I have one of those Dodos for sure!

Mine is a Mille Fleur d'Uccle that has earned the name Mira (as in Mira-cle she's still alive). She was the first of all the chicks to go through that brooder that somehow managed to wedge herself between the feeder and wall, at a week old. On a fluke I happened to spot the tip of her wing sticking up and she was still alive. Took me giving her drops of vitamins, 20 mins of rubbing her while inches from the heat lamp and a couple hours of rest to get her back to normal. She's still alive now at 5 weeks, amazingly! She too is always underfoot and leads her siblings around, getting into trouble!

4. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

walkswithdog, I recommend being prepared. Here's a list of items you might want to have on hand:

Helmet, gloves, knee and elbow pads, ladder, plenty of rope, petrolium jelly or axel grease, shovel, crow bar, sledge hammer, and 2 first aid kits. One for kit you and one for Dharma.

[​IMG]

5. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:oh lord, if they'll follow him, i'm so totally sunk. i'm wilting here. i just checked he's doing fine. i swear i'm going to end up checking eight times a day that he hasn't gotten into something new.

Sigh.

Cyn maybe... just maybe, he'll live another day ;-)

6. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    walkswithdog, I recommend being prepared. Here's a list of items you might want to have on hand:

Helmet, gloves, knee and elbow pads, ladder, plenty of rope, petrolium jelly or axel grease, shovel, crow bar, sledge hammer, and 2 first aid kits. One for kit you and one for Dharma.

LOL! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:oh, I can see i'm in for it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] What did i do to deserve this bird? hmm wonder if his name is actually, kharma??? :thun

I have three first aid kits, truck, dog and people. Fine, add a bird kit. [​IMG]

mutter, grumble, cuss, chuckle.

8. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    He LIVES. The monster has survived the night. Of course when I went to open the door to the brooder he hops out amidst three dogs, one of which is my varmit dog. Huey is SO surprised by attack chick, he sits there stunned.

Dharma could care less, flinging his idiot self into my hand. The other dogs blinking at the strange little thing. In Dharma's world nothing matters but getting to where he wants to go. Monsters and hazards beware. I'm going to put the medical kit and a hospital cage on top of the brooder now... OMG

On the other hand is my service dog, Athena. It's handy to have a dog who can open doors for you. It really is. Except for the part about still mostly puppy and curious as hell. Yesterday, I caught her trying to nose open the latch to the brooder. Sigh. Beware what you teach a dog.

I know she won't hurt them deliberately, but she weighs 97 lbs... Squashed is plausible. She likes to "Pat" things to play with them.

You know that monster on Bugs Bunny? "I will PET HIM and LOVE HIM and name him George!"

If Athena had been male I'd have been tempted to call her Thunderfoot Clyde.

The mix of Dharma and Athena is going to be terribly interesting... Much like the curse, "May you live in interesting times."

Shudder... I bet they'll be the best of friends. I'm going to just pre-emptively pull my hair out. It's already getting grayer.

LOL. Aren't chickens wonderful.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Great story !!!!! He sounds like a keeper (if you can keep him alive)

10. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    I'm starting to get attached to him!! hes funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by