1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DH's gout??

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gritsar, Nov 16, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    DH went to the doctor last Thursday because his shoulders, elbows and wrists are hurting him again.
    We pretty much know what's wrong with his shoulders, but nothing to do about it because his insurance is refusing to pay for surgery.
    They drew blood on Thursday and called with the results today.
    The doctor says his wrists and elbows hurting so bad are the result of gout. DH had gout once before but it was in his feet. They put him on a medicine for it.
    I'm kinda clueless about gout, so I'll be doing research tonight.

Anyone here dealt with it? What helped? What didn't?

Also, DH insisted on going to work this evening despite the fact that he can barely move his arms. Look up 'stubborn' in the dictionary and there's a pic of my DH there. [​IMG]
    Please keep him in your prayers and good thoughts that he stays safe tonight. It's cold outside and there's not a full moon, so maybe the loonies will stay inside and out of trouble.

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Men! [​IMG]

Tell him thanks for taking his job so seriously! Poor guy... [​IMG]

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Most gout is related to diet, but heredity has a large component too. When my dh was running a lot, dark beers, Guiness type would trigger his gout. He thinks it was a combination of the beer and the bodily stress of long distance running. Red wine, and rich foods are also gout triggers. There are some good, old, inexpensive meds on the market that are effective. Unfortunately, once it flares up it takes a little time to dissapate. Gout is crystal formation in the joints, and most people get it in their feet or legs.

I must say, it looks and sounds painful. Your silly man should be taking a least a short rest.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  4. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    My husband has gout ~ hits him in his feet. He takes Allopurinol once a day and has not had a flare up in a year, no matter what he eats or drinks. Allopurinol is under the Walmart $4.00 plan too.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, that's what they put him on. It was $2.40 under his prescription drug coverage. Good to know that its a drug that actually helps. Thanks.

Thanks to you too Mom's folly. After tonight he's off for three days, so hopefully he'll use the time to rest.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I believe pork and green beans are a trigger for gout as well. I've not heard of it going in the arms though, always the feet. Hope he gets to feeling better.

ETA: This site might help. http://www.best-gout-remedies.com/index.html

7. GaNewChick

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    I read this on the internet, and it took me a while to convince him while he was waiting on the meds to kick in, but it does work.

Rub the affected areas with Preparation H. It helps the swelling and pain associated with gout just as it would a hemorrhoid.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It hits my feet too. I did a lot of research online to figure out what my problem was after a couple of years of very painful feet. By trial and error I figured it out. I avoid the foods that seem to trigger mine the most....peas in particular seem to set mine off.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I always thought feet too, until I read this:

http://www.gout.com/what_is_gout/what_is_gout.aspx

Green beans are his favorite veggie and I might as well ask him to stop breathing before I ask him to give up pork.

The prep H is interesting. Maybe I can hide the label with my hand while I apply it. [​IMG]

I'm actually highly allergic to prep H. Weird I know. [​IMG]

10. GaNewChick

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Quote:It provides a temporary relief, but it does seem to help. Greasy though ... put a towel under whatever he is sitting/laying on. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by