1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DH's idea of abuse

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by desertgirl, Nov 4, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    We have a great coop and a good sized run for our 5 chickens (we are urban dwellers). Unfortunately, one turned out to be a rooster, and crows dawn to dusk. I have found that keeping him in the coop with the door shut (dark) keeps him quiet until 9 or 10 (we then open the door), which I feel is much more considerate to my poor neighbours than the 6 or 7 he pulls when he is let out earlier (door left open). I also work nights and sleep during the day, and he wakes me up all day (not cool) so if I keep him just in the run and he is not allowed to free range, he crows much less and I get more sleep.

But my DH will say things like "oh, the poor chickens" or "we shouldn't keep them locked up all day". They have plenty of food,water and space....

He puts quite a lot of stock in BYCc's collective advice-am I being "cruel" or practical??[​IMG]

(I hope the advice is what I hope it to be or I'm going to have to get rid of my silkie rooster!).

2. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    geez, I think that is an optimum solution for your roo. That roo will be just fine... and way less irritating inside that coop. I work nights too, and right now have 13 roosters crowing. I have to turn on a window A/C to drown them out.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    There are lots of chickens who don't get out of the run. I am surprised you are willing to put up with it at all. Its poor chickies or momma goes nuts from lack of sleep.

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Let them out for an hour or two in the evening. They'll be fine. That way you can sleep during the day and the chickens still get their "constitutional" for an hour or two. Watermelon rinds also go a long way to keeping them occupied

5. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    HAHA, that's the argument I get from DBF when I want to leave the chickens in the run and get some actual yardwork done! (I supervise my girls when they are "free ranging" - we have hawks & neighborhood dogs...) "The chickens told me they wanted out." he will say...... [​IMG] You will be a better chicken-momma if you get regular sleep. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  6. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    My chickens don't get out at all but they have a good sized run with way more space than they need. We don't think they are abused and they seem totally happy.

7. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Whew! What a relief (both for my sleep habits and my chicken mommy state of mind!). Will show this to DH asap. Thank you, as always!!!!![​IMG]

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    It's far safe for the birds to be in the run when you're not on hand to directly supervise.

9. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Good point.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by