DH's rooster is just not right...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chickybaby, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Chickybaby

Chickybaby Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    NC - paradise!
    We have a 9 month old Dominique rooster named Quincy. He was gifted to us by our good friends and neighbors as part of quad that was supposed to be 3 pullets and 1 roo. Well, it was just the opposite (they were really little when we got them). Anyway, long story short, Quincy is the most "chicken" chicken I have ever seen. The other birds all pick on him, including girls, and even though they were all raised together and everyone else gets along he just can't seem to fit with any of them [​IMG] . So consequently he has taken to living in our garage (quite a distance from the coop and other chickens). It started off he'd just hang there during the day and make his was down to the coop at dusk, but for several weeks now he has decided not to leave the safety of the garage at all [​IMG] . I didn't realize he was hiding behind the water heater until one morning I heard crowing in the garage and the door was still closed! [​IMG] It took me a few minutes to find him, but judging from the pile of poo, he'd been there before... My DH had taken a shine to this pitiful creature and Quincy is perhaps the most friendly bird I will ever know. I'm not sure if his vision is all that great, which might be why they pick on him and he's so scared of everything. I wouldn't know how to test it. Wouldn't matter anyway, it's not likely he's in danger of going in the freezer or anything. DH tells everyone about his "garage rooster" and I know folks think he's making it up, but it's the absolute truth! DH has talked about building Quincy his own "house" in the front yard so he's got a safe place during the day and can be locked up by himself at night - the poo in the garage is really starting to bother me... Anyway, just felt the need to share, and if anyone has advice on how to housetrain a rooster, please let me know... [​IMG]

2. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Poor thing, good thing he has someone who will love him. Not that he will be spoiled with his own house! [​IMG]

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    They make chicken diapers. Originally for parrots. Really. NO kidding!

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

We want Pictures!!! PLEEEEASE! Yes, they have diapers if you want to have him in the house. Or, you could try training him to stay in a specific space (one room or a pen of some sort) and plan on cleaning up every day.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I would make him his own pen and run and get him a gentle little companion hen.

6. Chickybaby

Chickybaby Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    NC - paradise!
    I'll work on the pics this weekend, I've been having trouble with my home computer so we'll see how it goes... There are a couple of girls that come visit from time to time, but they all eventually return to the coop and the other roosters, I'd hate to lock one up with him if they'd rather be somewhere else! I feel incredibly sorry for him on the one hand, it's a very lonely life. On the other hand, I'm wondering if he had a fresh start with someone else and other birds, maybe he could fit in better and not stay so solitary. I don't know, but it isn't likely he'll be going anywhere soon. I'll have to look into the diaper thing, we're starting to track poo into the house from the garage and that is not acceptable in any situation... wish us luck! [​IMG]

7. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know, but it isn't likely he'll be going anywhere soon. I'll have to look into the diaper thing, we're starting to track poo into the house from the garage and that is not acceptable in any situation... wish us luck!

You got it, no matter what you decide to do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by