Dia Duit, from Ireland!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Breifne, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Breifne

Breifne Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Connemara, Ireland
    Hello, everyone! My wife and I are just about to move into a home with a fair bit of land for the first time in our lives, and we have a desire to make an entrance into the world of backyard chicken raising. We have nothing at the present stage -- no birds, no coop, no run -- but will be making acquisitions within the next several weeks. Hope to find the answers we need here, and from snooping around a bit before registering, I'm certain we will.

For now, what is a reasonable number to begin with? We'll want all hens as we aren't interested in breeding for now. Also, is it best to get started with hens that are feathered and ready to be placed in the coop straightaway?

Cheers!

~ Riain

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. Now as for you questions I would start with a small number. 4 -6 may be a good start. Many people prefer to start with chicks and enjoy raising them. I personally prefer buying adults.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

You came to the right place for chicken answers.

Imp

4. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Riain,

Welcome to the forum.

How exciting to get started with chickens. My view is that you will probably get several different answers to your questions- it seems that everybody approaches their chicken rearing in a different way, and heaven knows we are all opinionated! ;O)

What worked for me was to get 3 to start. I wasn't 100% sure how much I would become involved in chickens. I got a hen that could already produce eggs, and two pullets that were 4-5 months old. Within the month -- every one was laying. It is astonishing how many eggs just a couple of chickens can produce. If you have space and facilities, you will probably want to start with more, although from what I see, and reading the Omlet forum, in the UK it is very usual for people to have small flocks.... like two chckens in their garden.

If you want eggs for just your family, I would say a hen for each person plus one hen. If you want eggs to sell -- then, of course more.

You will find that people here are VERY enthusiastic about their chickens...and it is contageous!

Glad that you will be around here.

6. Breifne

Nov 23, 2011
    Connemara, Ireland
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello Riain, and welcome to BYC from Ohio in the United States!

Glad you joined!

Sharon

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Quote:It would work however most of the coops that come with the supplies are very over priced. If you can get ahold of some lumber and other supplies you could make a very similar coop for much less.

10. Breifne

Nov 23, 2011
    Connemara, Ireland
    Quote:I figured as much, but I'm not handy in the slightest with a hammer and nails. I've seen a slightly smaller one available assembled and delivered for a good bit less...perhaps I should opt for that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by