Diagnose Me!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Colinus Ruckus, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Colinus Ruckus

Colinus Ruckus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Western NC
    My month-old coturnix are getting bald spots on their backs, between their wings. About a third, or maybe half, seem to have this problem. Some are also losing feathers from the backs of their heads. What's going on? Mites? Pictures below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. emmalynn

emmalynn Silkies Sebbies OEGBs

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    If it is your hens and you have roos....mating?

3. Colinus Ruckus

Mar 9, 2011
    Western NC
    Seems to be both hens and roos have got it. And my older coturnix, who should be wilder, aren't having this problem!

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Sounds like you have one (or more) bully quail that are mounting anything that moves.... try figuring out which one it is, and seperating and/or culling it. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Looks like a bully problem, someone in looovvvveee a bit too much.

6. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:If the culprit were human, he would be classified as a stalker and/or serial rapist. [​IMG]

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:If the culprit were human, he would be classified as a stalker and/or serial rapist. [​IMG]

It reminds me of my cochin bantam roosters...those guys need like 20 women to fulfill all their little fantasies...I see some on ducks at times!

8. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    What is your hen to rooster ratio?

9. Colinus Ruckus

Mar 9, 2011
    Western NC
    GAWD. Really? Already? I have another round of birds that are 8 weeks old and they aren't tearing each other up at all. I have the two groups separated by age, but as for roo-hen ratio, it's gotta be close to 50/50 since I haven't sorted them out. I was planning to keep them all together until 10 weeks and then butcher the roos and keep the hens for eggs.

10. Colinus Ruckus

Mar 9, 2011
    Western NC
    I sat out and watched them for a long while this evening and didn't see any rowdiness. They're making some noise but no rough stuff that I saw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by