Diagnosis Help, One Hen died now another displaying similar symptoms Urgent!!!

Hannah11

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 11, 2012
Bluff, New Zealand
Two days ago I noticed my Hen (4monthsold) nugget had these symptoms
Breathing issues, lack of appetite, reluctance to move, tail down feathers puffed up then later that night she was unable/unwilling to move, eyes closed, runny nose and worsened breathing not long after she died. I'm not sure if this was relevant but while she died a lot of the watery contents of her crop expelled and did not smell bad.12 hours between discovery and death. Now I have another pullet elvis becoming distant from the group and lack of interest in food (slow eating) with a crackly breathing sound.
conditions; Free Range, Mild-hot weather not much rain, two coops elvis travels between both around 15 Hens and roosters 5hens are over 1year the rest are 4months.
Recently wormed and mite dusted.

Any questions welcome I really want this figured out
Thanks all!

sounds like a respiratory issue. Look it up in the search, there is lots of info here about respiratory illnesses. I have never dealt with one. Separate the sick ones from the others, most of these things are very contagious. Some may need antibiotics , but I do know that you must separate the sick ones

done and done, I can afford for the new chicks and meat birds to get sick (multi purpose flock) Im in NZ and i couldn't find the relevant info on what diseases are carried here plus the search part is not working for me (not tech savvy) lol it keeps directing me to silkie threads.....ill try again.

So I Figured out the search thing- the settings were funny....durrrr! I'm looking at fungal vs bacterial it sounds like a fungal thing to me but I'm not sure the symptoms can be very similar- the info i got was that if you give antibiotics and its a fungal thing you will make it worse so I'm going to pick up ACV and start with that, does it cause any problems if i have mis diagnosed?

Back
Top Bottom