1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Diagnosis needed- scaly leg mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by perthchickie, Apr 21, 2017.

1. perthchickie

perthchickie Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2017
    Hi everyone!
    After the loss of two of our sweet chickens we have decided to expand our flock again. Our newest little one was getting bullied in her last home so we have taken her. I think she is a little langshan and her feet look to me like she has a severe case of scaly let mites. It doesnt seem to be hurting her yet, so that's a good sign. I just soaked her in some warm soapy water and scrubbed her gently and some of her few remaining scales came off. Just letting her dry off then we will dust her and spray some oil on her. Does anyone have any different views of what else it could be?[​IMG][/IMG]

2. perthchickie

Feb 15, 2017
    And other picture:[​IMG]

3. zephyricle

zephyricle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    California
    This is pretty darn severe.. I've always used WD40 but that was always for a lot less severe than this. Im nit sure if it'll hurt the bird if you use it this late in infestation.

4. perthchickie

Feb 15, 2017

Yeah it's pretty full on. I was going to use a vegetable oil because the skin has broken in some spots so didnt want to use WD40 in those circumstances. I'd like to avoid the vet if possible

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Mix some powered sulfur and Vaseline and slather that all over her feet. If she is not already lame petroleum jelly should fix her up.

In cases when a chicken is as disadvantaged as your new hen is, that puts her in in the lower areas of the pecking order.

I've said it once but it needs repeating, chickens don't have any of the so-called "milk" of human kindness.

As time goes on I become more and more sure that the pecking order is how chickens cull their own kind.

6. perthchickie

Feb 15, 2017
    Thanks a lot. We have done one treatment and will repeat in a few days. We'll keep her segregated for at least 2 weeks at this stage. My other two are big sooks so hopefully they wont make the transition too hard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by