diagnosis needed

new2chix

Songster
11 Years
Aug 23, 2008
New Palestine Indiana
I have a 16 week old buff brahma who is listless and refusing to drink. I first noticed two evenings ago that she was puffed up in the evening. She did not want to be picked up, however, and ran away and sleeked back down, and went into the coop. I was busy yesterday, and others opened up the coop, and I just noticed she was the last one in last night. This afternoon I went out and she was tucked into a corner, and puffed up again. I reached and picked her up (she was very light, empty crop), and she did not protest, except to cluck at me - her voice was hoarse, sounding almost like a bark. I have lost a bird every couple of months over the last year - 2 to broken necks (heavy roo, 1 small and 1 banty hen, 1 to what looked like mareks (a banty which had not been vaccinated - all my standard have been vaccinated for it), and 2 last fall to symptoms like the ones this bird is showing.

1) What type of bird , age and weight - 16 week old hatchery buff brahma, too light now that I picked her up, slower to develop than her "hatch-mates"
2) What is the behavior, exactly. puffed up, lethargic. refuses to eat or drink, can no longer stand, sits with head up, eyes clear. no nasal discharge, butt is clear, lots of pin feathers coming in to finish adult feathering, no lice, no worms that I can detect, no odor
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 6 hours at most refusing to stand - puffed up at times, less alert than usual for a about 2 days
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - no
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - been hot all summer, nothing else I can think of
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. refuses both, has lost weight recently
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - no poop since isolation
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - nothing so far
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? treat myself, though if she dies I may have a necropsy done if I can find out who/where to send the bird in Indiana
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use - stall dry on the floor, covered with a layer of straw, run is dirt, and since it was rainy we put a very light layer of straw in the run.

Thanks for any info / advice!

Back
Top Bottom