Diagnosis: worms? cocci? blackhead? nothing? (lots of poo pictures!)

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by junglebird, Oct 19, 2011.

1. junglebird

junglebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have 9 Black Spanish poults, and 2 Blue Slate, all are 11 weeks old. 6 weeks ago I found a poult dead in the coop in the morning, autopsied him and found cheesy masses in the cecal sacs and a spotty, necrotic liver (link to spotty liver picture ). The poult had not seemed depressed, though he was pretty skinny.

Since then I've been watching the poults like a hawk for signs of blackhead. I am seeing an array of questionable poops which are cataloged here for your viewing pleasure: link to poop pictures, all taken this morning in the poultry yard. [​IMG]

I am not witnessing any depression, drooping, withdrawl, etc. Birds are curious, active, hungry. They seem to drink a lot of water, but then I've been loading them with a ton of cayenne, and it's still warm (in the 70's) where we live. When I back off the cayenne, the poops get yuckier, when I load up, they get better. I also put ACV in the water regularly, and give whey or yogurt with garlic and olive oil a couple of times a week. I'm not so worried about the variations in poo color, since they have a varied diet, and are currently cleaning up the vegetable bed.

I've never wormed my chickens, but autopsied the intestines of a slaughtered bird about 2 months ago, and found no sign of worms.

I am concerned about the poops, however. Can you give me feedback, please? Do any of the poops look like blackhead poops? Cocci poops? Worm load poops?

Thanks in advance for your help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    I'm not an expert on chicken droppings at all. I did see the green poops which means they are not getting nutrition into their bodies which could be worms. If they have no other signs other than the green poops then I would go ahead and worm them. Also, you should feed them buttermilk soaked scrambled eggs for the probiotics and protein to help them get over this. Did you check for external parasites as well. You can still have the same issues with them too. I know nothing about black head except for what I've read before.

3. Aj1911

Aj1911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    the green isnt great but not bad, the yellow would be what i would be worried about as it means something bugging the liver.

4. junglebird

junglebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Now I've got a couple more of the poos with bright yellow urates, it's possible they're all from the same bird. I also found a poult standing with droopy wings and closing eyes today. The poults are 11 weeks old and weigh around 5.5 lbs, none seem skinnier than the others.

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Have seen the occasional butterscotch poop out of young turks, but not daily.

What is there regular feed? Were these purchased as day-olds (hatchery or private breeder?) Have you raised turkeys, uneventfully, in the past, on the same ground?

Compare liver shots (thanks for posting those by the way) with the one in this thread and in Aviagen link (advanced HG in broiler livers). https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=529870&p=1

Without
    access to lab testing I'd worm them all with Valbazen and start a course of Metronidazole (I'd take turk in for necroscopy as well - only way to know for sure).

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by