Diagnostic help? Is this favus?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by srs6104, Jan 22, 2012.

1. srs6104

srs6104 New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    Hi all. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Our red sexlink has suddenly looks very "dusty" on her face and comb. She's also missing a patch of feathers on the top of her head (you can see the tips of the quills sticking up in the photo). The comb seems paler than normal, but her appetite and energy level are good. I didn't notice anything wrong with her beak, but it looks strange in the photo too. (We bought her older and her beak had already been clipped.) Our blue andalusian seems to have a few white specks and a black speck on her comb, and our americauna has some white, matted patches in her beard. We just washed out their coop and changed the bedding in the nesting boxes, and we didn't see any mites or lice.

From the other online pictures, it seems maybe this is favus? Sites say it is rare, though, so I wondered if it could be some other type of mold or fungus. (We live in Texas.)[​IMG]

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I have never heard of " Favus" I will look it up on the internet now as I would like to understand this .

I hope somebody here with knowledge of Favus can help you.

Suzie

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    IF it is favus, Lotramin containing miconazole will take care of it.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Some better pics would be helpful. I can't quite tell what is going on from the pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by