dial thermometer GQF

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seminolewind, Jan 10, 2010.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I looked at all the incubator-seller websites, and hatcheries that sell incubators and they all have an add for a GQF dial face thermometer as being the most accurate out there. Anyone care to comment? Anyone have one?

2. FowlDelights

FowlDelights Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Elgin, Tx
    I picked up a used digital GQF 1502 about 8 days ago. The guy who sold it was using a digital battery combination thermometer and took the average of the battery operated and GQF temperatures. This was his operating temperature. The humitity indicators were off on both also.

I ordered two of the dial thermometers that were suppose to be calibrated to 100 degrees. One was and one was not. I also have an instant read thermometer that I use for barbecue which is very accurate. So I tested all thermometers. I nuked 2 cups of water for about a minute and put all thermometers in the water and waited till it cooled off to 100 although I could tell one of the dial indicators was off by 3 degrees. There is a way to shift the dial of the GQF thermometers and I adjusted the bad one. Now all three were in sync. I then drilled two 5/32 inch holes in the incubator on the left side. I inserted all three intermittently until I was satisfied they all read the same. The GQF digital thermometer is off by 2.5 degrees (if my calibration is correct). I am unsure of the digital humidity indicator which is reading out at 45 %. One of the dial thermometers is being used as a wet bulb thermometer to assist in determining the correct humidity. On the humidity issue I'm still a bit stumped and can't explain if I know what I'm doing or not. So no help there.

I set some eggs 4 days ago and weighed them. Tomorrow I will be weighing them and candling. This will help me know if the humidity is about right. I won't know about the temperature until they get locked down (fingers crossed).

For the money I thought is was worth while for me because I could calibrate them. You'll have to decide for yourself.

Good Luck.

Ron

3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks, Ron. So you're saying that after your initial calibration, the dials maintained being correct?

4. FowlDelights

Feb 17, 2009
    Elgin, Tx
    Yes. I just wish the dial was a bit bigger and had 1/2 degree increments.

Ron

5. Arrowhead07

Arrowhead07 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2009
    NW Michigan
    Since you all are on the subject, I just got a used GQF1202 that had not been used in years. I started it up and seems to run just fine. My question is do I go with the wet bulb method or the dry and then get a hydrometer?

6. FowlDelights

Feb 17, 2009
    Elgin, Tx
    Using the thermometer as a Hygrometer the GQF dial instructions states: "Because the wick can become coated with impurities in the air and water, it is best to use the wick for about 24 hours only as the reading may seem higher than it is once the wick becomes soiled from deposits. If the hygrometer is reading 95 degrees or higher, it is most likely that the wick is not working and should be wetted or even changed."

Seems the "wet bulb" method is an immediate but temporary situation which can become unreliable after 24 hours. Based on my limited experience I would go with dry and a hygrometer. The problem is finding a reliable hygrometer, preferable an adjustable one so you can calibrate it every now and then. The hygrometer is my problem child. Haven't got a handle on it yet.

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I meant as far as a thermometer goes. I wasn't going to use the wet bulb. How was the thermometer part?

8. FowlDelights

Feb 17, 2009
    Elgin, Tx
    So far I believe the thermometer itself is reliable. It's been operating for 5 days at 100 and has held steady. Two of them side by side. For temperatures I would say very good. Used as a wet bulb, I have my concerns. I'll know better if and when my eggs hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by