Dialed In...Kentucky Derby next?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Spookwriter, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Anyone know who Dialed In is?

Or perhaps Uncle Mo?

Anyone here follow the Kentucky Derby? Triple crown? Or the horses in general?
    I'm only pondering the outcome today.

I'm not a gambler at heart.

But I'm looking. Watching. Wondering.

Anyone else?

I'd rather watch chicken racing. But it's hard finding enough little jockeys.

2. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Those tiny jockeys sure are hard to come by! And you'd need a bug on a lure....
    Like the actual races, but I sure do dislike those announcers going off the whole time! They are so loud.. its the reason I've never liked it when people play other sports in the house.. couldn't they whisper?? I've only ever been home in time for one Kentucky Derby on tv.. and I had it muted [​IMG]
    On the other hand, reading about them sure is fun!
    Perhaps you could gamble with eggs? I'll put 2 on the under-dog!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Well Triple Crown this year...I do not see a horse in the line up that will do it...the only one so far (and I am still studying them hard) that would have a chance is Uncle Mo.

As for Dialed In...

Nick Zito is a decent trainer and the Jock Leparoux is okay. But the colt's performance in the Gulfstream was horrid. Equestrio beat him by one half a length but it would have been a larger margin if Equestrio has not veered off wide. Dialed In won the Florida Derby but it was not a great performance. That race is a mile and 1/8...he was loosing steam. The first six furlongs he did okay but the next quarter mile he was slower finishing a slower time than he had in a one mile race. He is second or third choice for the Derby but I do not see him winning the 5 quarters at Churchhill. I would not bet on him to win

Uncle Mo... the horse I am watching, a good Kentucky bred horse

Much better horse. He won his 3 year old debut in a Grey Goose Breeder's Cup race at Churchill. He won the race easily. Never pushed by another horse, never had the stick put to him. He ran the race like it was a training day workout. He has raced Gulstream, Churchhill, Saratoga and Belmont fields already. It will be interesting to see how he handles the tight turns at Pimlico in the Preakness, if he runs. His races leading up to the Derby so far... (3 majors in 2010 and 1 so far in 2011...doubtful he will run again before the Derby but it is possible, there are several good races coming up.)

Saratoga, Maiden Special Weight... Won with authority...under a handride. He got out of the gate slow and was moved around and his Jock got him under hand, took him to the inside and he was off. He was challenged hard a couple of time but without stick, he left them in his dust.

Belmont - Champagne Stakes He was off to good a start, good out of the gate and was under a handride. He went to the rail and the Jock gave him 2 quick left hand whips to get him off the rail...he was challenged and just steadied along to win under a handride.

Churchhill Downs - Grey Goose Breeders' Cup He got away from the gate good on the inside and drove hard to the front. He was challenged 5 wide in the second turn and could no be overtaken. He was challenged again 4 wide to no avail...he won on a handride.

At Gulfstream, the Timely Writer Stakes, he won after a bumped start. He came off slow but his jock got him back in hand and recovered and he went on to win. He was challenged three wide and challenged hard and won under a handride. No stick.

For the record...I grew in the racing world...having both TBs and Qtr horse racers. As the family got out of it, I still kept up with it and am planning on attending the Derby next year. My favorite memory...attending the 1973 Belmont and watching Secretariat win the Triple Crown. Nothing will replace that memory as number 1. [​IMG] So enjoy the races and let's pray that not a single animal breaks down before, during or after...watching Eight Belles break down after racing the boys and placing second...broke my heart. That is always a prayer for me before the races...that all the Jocks and Horses stay safe and whole.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I should also answer your question about who is Dialed In....

He is a colt out of Mindshaft and Miss Doolittle...who really mean very little but....Mineshaft is the Grandson of AP Indy, Great grandson of Seattle Slew, Mr. Prospector and Great Great Grandson of Secretariat on the Sire's side. On the Dam's side, he is the Grandson of Storm Cat and Great Great Grandson of both Northern Dancer and Secretariat, and also Bold Bidder, a Bold Ruler son.

So he has a great pedigree but sadly...there are also weaknesses in that pedigree and he seems to run with those characteristics all too often but he does show good.

When compared to Uncle Mo's pedigree...you would expect more from Dailed In but Uncle Mo is strong in his pedigree which has Double Northern Dancer and a more recent Northern Dancer influence. Also Princequillo and Alydar. So he has speed and endurance.

5. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    To have actually seen Secretariat run...that has to be a shining memory.

I agree that I don't see a Triple Crown horse here either. But stranger things
    have happened.

Surprised anyone knew who Dialed In or Uncle Mo were. Much less the others.

Would you what the best racing newspaper is, and what is a "form-book" referring
    to? Where would I be likely to get either one?

Not saying I'm going to bet, but I would think it a good thing to know the recent history
    of the horses. Guessing on raceday sounds like a probable loss.

Interesting comments from you two. Now I'm not alone.

Lets say we have until the day before the race to make our choice?

6. Squishy

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Im with you! I havent ever read a publication of that manner... but in some books I have read before, they kept mentioning the 'Racing Daily News'... I wonder.. how to get a hold of one?

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Squishy

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness!
    Where did you find those!?!? So funny! So adorable!

9. c is 4 cochin

c is 4 cochin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    here you go. . .some real live hen racing

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by