diamet.....earth

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rancher hicks, Oct 20, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I was wondering about diamet.....earth. Food grade. do I use that for worms? I bought some ivemec powder from Cultlers. for pigs it says but ad says poultry too. do I have to toss out the eggs for awhile after I use ivemec?

Country max sell 50# bags of diamet...earth. Can I just spread it around the yard? inside the coop and nest boxes? Maybe the areas that retain water when it rains?

Ive noticed a couple of coughs from some of the birds while eating crumbles in the yard dish and I've been watching and listening at night but haven't heard anything chronic and would like to avoid/prevent any problems.

My Del roo is moulting and he's one of the ones I heard cough. Which begs another question why only him moulting?

They drink from puddles in the yard so I'm concerned about worms. They have water but they still drink from the puddles. On occasion.

2. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Diatomaceous Earth or DE, is fossilized diatoms (hard shelled algae) and works by cutting the exoskeleton of parasites. Once it gets too wet it doesn't work so scientifically the natural moisture within ones body would make this less effective and not useful for internal parasites. It works well for external parasites and is a good idea to use in their run, dust bath area and under the bedding in their nest boxes. It is also not effective if it rains so it needs to be replaced periodically. I still recommend food grade to avoid problems if taken internally accidentally.

As for internal parasites its best to have collective fresh stool samples sent to a vet for laboratory examination to determine what parasites and the load being carried by your birds and get the treatment for those specifically as "worm alls" may not kill the worms your chickens may have. Ivormectin is off label for chickens. Some holistic methods may help but I am unaware of the proper ones to use for each type of parasite.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If I dust w/ diam. earth food grade will that affect the birds lungs?
    If I use ivomectin in their food as the ad from cutlers suggested will I have to toss out the eggs for awhile? How many days?

I know there who worm their birds twice a year. How do they do that and where do they get the meds.

It is not financially fesiable to have a vet check a large amount of birds. What if I get the stool from a bird w/o worms. I just want to prevent problems before they start.

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
  5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    There has never been a scientific study that showed DE had any effect on interal parasites.
    If you'll notice, most all the places that make those claims are also selling it.

It's only proven use is as an insecticide, and it works best when dry

6. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    it still works internally! old timers have been using it for years, And it still works when wet. i sprinkle 2% on their food for preventive deworming. It wont have any info on worming cause the FDA hasnt approved it for that use. Still works~

7. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    So I could dust bathe my dogs and cats in it and kill their fleas? Is it that safe...

8. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    i dust mine but doesnt work well for fleas and mites. They gnats and flies them them alone...LOL

oh and roaches dont even stand a chance, DEAD!

9. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    it still works internally! old timers have been using it for years, And it still works when wet. i sprinkle 2% on their food for preventive deworming. It wont have any info on worming cause the FDA hasnt approved it for that use. Still works~

More hearsay, and still no evidence, which is what I stated.

It works when dry to kill some insects and mites, and that's about all it's good for, which is why that's all it's approved for.

The only reason it has a "food grade" rating at all is because it cant be removed from grain when it's used to control bugs

Use it if you like, but it's really a waste for internal parasites​

10. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    So I could dust bathe my dogs and cats in it and kill their fleas? Is it that safe...

It's "safe" as long as they dont breath too much, but its not all that effective compared to most other flea treatments

Just giving them a bath will kill more fleas​

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by