Diametre of a roost for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 09northernchick, May 7, 2009.

1. 09northernchick

09northernchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    I tried placing a couple of dowel roosts in my brooder today. Either it is too small in diameter or they don't know what to do with it. What's an approx. diameter for a roost for one week old chicks?

2. realmofthewoodsranch

realmofthewoodsranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Palintowne, Alaska
    Try using your fingers and see how well they hold onto your fingers. Usually at a week old, they aren't too terribly adept at roosting anyways. I just let my peeps hang out on my fingers for practice and then once they're older, then try out a dowel or a 1x board so that they have something flat to perch on at first. Round is more difficult than flat.

3. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I agree with getting them something flat.

Also, many chickens don't roost until they are much, much older. I had one who wanted to do it at a week old... and more of them started to try it at about four weeks, and by about 6 weeks they could all do it. They didn't sleep up there until they were about 8-10 weeks old, though, and many people told me that was still early.

Your little ones just may not be interested in perching yet, so give them some time. But, often they will enjoy jumping up and down off of things at that age, so try something flat and it might do the trick.

4. 09northernchick

09northernchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Great! Thanks for the insight and advice!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I used a broom handle.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by