Diaper on chicken say whaaat?

silverlining

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Highlands Ranch
Ok, so one of our two Silkies passed away two nights ago, and his remaining buddy is tragically lonely. Britches absolutely refuses to associate with the other chickens, who in turn ignore her. She follows her human friends around pitifully whenever we go into the run, and so we took pity on her and are letting her sleep inside. However...she is not going to be allowed to stay inside unless we can figure out this chicken diaper deal.

So can you tell me about them? How often do you change them, how well do the work, is it sanitary to throw them in the washing machine by themself (obviously), or do they need a backyard hose down? These are just a few of the things im beginning to wonder...

I searched BYC on them, and they had some people selling them, but i didn't find enough general info on it to run out and buy one haha. And we tried. Nobody is selling, so at least for the short term, we need a solution.

I know all about diapers. My silkie has them as she is an inside bird. They have a plastic liner in them & that's the part that gets dirty. I flip it inside out & pour out the poop. Then you can do whatever you want to clean the residue off. I just use a glove & wash it like a dish but with a different cloth. It typically needs changing 3-5 times a days for a hen. Go to http://www.chickendiapers.com/
I
highly recommend them as I am so happy with their service & product. My little silkie in Israel lives the life of Reilly!

I've also used a sandwich baggie and a pipecleaner. Cut a little hole on either side of the baggie and loop the ends of the pipecleaner through the hole. Hang on the tail and adjust as needed.

Quote:
I bought some chicken diapers from Moodene and they are absolutely SUPERB quality. She does an excellent job with attention to the smallest details. The pocket is elasticized with a waterproof liner into which you can tuck a paper napkin, toilet tissue, or a portion of paper towel to absorb any liquids. To change or empty, just turn inside out, change the liner and wipe dry w/ paper towel or sanitizing hand wipes. They can be washed in the machine; however I did not put them in the dryer. (and no, I did not put them in a separate load; I washed them with some towels I use for pet care). I just let them air dry, which took very little time. Bob (bantam frizzle cochin who was getting beaten up by almost everyone else) adjusted to them beautifully and after the initial try-on, was completely unfazed by it. I used one for a while on an ill Silkie rooster, and he too didn't seem to mind it at all. For anyone with a house chicken (either temporarily or permanently), these are a godsend! and as for fowltemptress' question, yes, they can lay in the diaper.
smile.png

Quote:
You have to be careful about that (so I hear- no experience myself). I understand owners learn their chickens schedule or signs that they are about to lay- take the diaper off then. Also they are made big enough to hold an egg if it happens.

Back
Top Bottom