Diapers for indoor pet turkey?

As someone with a 50/50 indoor turkey due to being almost completely blind, I wouldn't personally recommend it. Turkeys are super destructive, their poop is huge, stinky and frequent, and your normal not disabled turkey is going to be loud and getting into everything. Even though my hen is only in during the morning and night and outside in a chain link pen within the turkey yard in the afternoon/early evening so she can do normal turkey things like dig, dirt bathe, sun bathe, etc, the only reason it works out at all is because she is the lowest on the pecking order, timid, she never really hung out with the other turkeys even when she was with them full time, and cannot really see well at all. I line her cage with puppy pads and I have to change them at least 5 times a day alongside spot cleaning, its expensive, and then I have to clean up after her when I let her out of her cage to wander. Im lucky she doesn't fly or Id be cleaning poop off my bed. She has a diaper, but I dont really use it much since she isnt indoor full time. You would also probably want a HEPA air purifier because they're dusty. I have to sweep dust around her pen practically daily.

Basically if it wasn't this one specific turkey who's personality i personally know, or a temporarily sick/injured bird I'd never do it willingly lol. My other turkeys would throw a fit and scream and destroy everything and fly on everything. They're so clumsy and destructive even when i bring them in for a few minutes if they need treatment lol

Edit: Don't take this as me raining on your parade btw, just offering my perspective from someone with an indoor turkey. I have seen/known a lot of people with happy bantam chickens as indoor pets, so I would def recommend them. Seramas are popular from what I've seen.

Last edited:
I just read all the rave reviews. OMG I can't believe so many people actually have indoor pet turkeys.
I think most of them are probably just turkeys who come in the house sometimes, the diapers are really only supposed to be worn maybe a couple of hours so a lot of people use them for birds that are indoors due to injuries/illnesses that take a long time to heal, or birds that just come in for a couple of hours. If you have friendly turkeys and an accessible house door they will force themselves in every now and then lol

Back
Top Bottom