diarrehea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Camprz, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Camprz

Camprz New Egg

May 1, 2011
    I bought 4 11 week old chicks. One of the girls has diarrehea. I thought it might be the stress of a new home but it has been almost two weeks now. She is eating and drinking fine. I don't notice anythi g else but these are my first hens so I have no idea what I am doing yet. Should I be worried?

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

If you are really worried put some Electrolyte in the water this you can get at most any feed store [​IMG]

And you can also put at the same time some Probiotic in the water at the same time for anything else that might be wrong at the same time this I what I do and it seems to work [​IMG]

And [​IMG] great to have you here with us [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    two weeks is a long time - maybe you could post in "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. Has she been checked for worms.

Does she actually poo very often, or is it just loose? You can describe as best you can on the above thread.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Is she acting normal otherwise (not puffed up/lethargic)? Diarrehea can be caused by Coccidiosis. If she's fine otherwise, she may just naturally have rather loose droppings. You could try giving her some probiotics or yogurt to help her digestive tract.

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I know of a very good probiotic I use in my own flock that really helps with dierehea it's called Probios. You can order it online . It's safe for chicks as well. It keeps my flocks system very well and no dierehea . I discovered it when I was having trouble with dierehea in one of my chicks. It really works wonders. You should give it a try. I think it would be of great help.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

7. chickie farmer

chickie farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    as a drink, use potassium permanganate solution. use 1 cup of warm water to 1tbs of potassium permanganate per hen. do not use metal containers. If severe diarrhea, make stronger. enough to turn your finger brown. If not cleared in 2-3 days, use Epsom salts by adding 1/2 tbs. to chicken feed.
    Also Yogurt or buttermilk works well. But don't use flavored or low fat. Give each bird 1/2 tsp. Epson salt. mix with wheat bran and yogurt or buttermilk to form a thick, crumbly paste,.assuring each bird gets proper dosage by hand feeding individually. Good luck. I am having the same problem with my chickens yesterday. their poop looks just like water. I just had surgery and can't go in to get what I need and my wife is in a wheelchair and no one around to help. Stitches out tomorrow then I can get what I need.

8. chickie farmer

chickie farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    I believe you do the yogurt mixture for a week. I can't remember.

9. Camprz

Camprz New Egg

May 1, 2011
    thank you for all the suggestions! Much appreciated.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Epsom salts will cause more diarrhea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by