Diarrhea and dullness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by n.smithurmond, Jan 12, 2010.

1. n.smithurmond

n.smithurmond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    North Georgia
    Hi folks! A question about symptoms of illness:

We have a flock of 11 chickens (our first) and have made it 35 weeks without a single sign of ill health. In the last few days, however, I've noticed that one bird has loose stool (but is otherwise active and laying normally) and another (with a clean vent) seemed really dull and fairly inactive yesterday. Two things have changed recently that might affect them. 1. They've gone from being completely free-range (several acres) to being contained in a 40'X40' with a coop (have been contained roughly 2 months). 2. The weather has been uncharacteristically cold (windchill below freezing in GEORGIA!) They do have a heat lamp inside the coop to prevent the water from freezing.

My suspicion is that there could simply be a larger number of bacteria or parasites present than what they were previously used to because of the smaller area they're in? They are contained using electric poultry netting, so we are going to rotate the pen to another area today to see if it helps.

Any suggestions on diagnosis and treatment? Thanks!

2. n.smithurmond

Jun 24, 2009
    North Georgia
    OK, the one that seemed dull yesterday is a happy camper today! Go figure. [​IMG]

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Make sure everyone is drinking. Birds that aren't used to cold weather sometimes neglect to drink, their bodies don't feel as thirsty in the cold. Sounds like you have a good setup for the emergency! [​IMG]

4. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    If you have any plain yogurt with active cultures on hand that can help firm up the poo and replenish the good bacteria in their digestive systems. You said only one bird had runny poo, but all the birds can benfit from eating it. If they don't like it plain, mix it with some of their usual feed.

Stay warm!

5. n.smithurmond

Jun 24, 2009
    North Georgia
    Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by