1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

diarrhea and looking very weak rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunket77, Jun 23, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Songster

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I have a roo that is one year old. A bantam cochin. I had to put him in a small cage and separate him from the flock b/c he turned mean and has been attacking the children. I tried to let him free-range to see if that would help but he went after my daughter. He has been in the cage a while now off and on and he drinks from a water bottle (rabbit bottle) and knows how to do it well. I noticed he stopped crowing a few days ago and this morning I found him sitting on the bottom of the cage just lying there. He was not reacting to anything like me opening the cage. I picked him up (which is usually very difficult) and noticed he had poop all over his bottom. It was kind of green and runny. He does have a scab from being hen pecked before I put him in the cage that doesn't seem to be healing. He has had them many times before and they got better fairly quickly. His wattles and comb do seem dry also. He does not seem interested in drinking. Any ideas what might be wrong? I hate to keep him in the cage but now I am not sure if he is contagious. Also, I have been trying to find him a home with no luck and now that he is showing signs of sickness I don't think that is an option any more. Any ideas on whats going on? thanks!

2. sunket77

sunket77 Songster

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I am not sure if it would help but I gave hime some chick starter, I figured he wouldn't need the calcium in layer and maybe the extra protein would help? I am just really concerned that whatever it is might be contagious. but with the extenuating circumstances like the high humidity and heat outside it could be he is dehydrated maybe? I am going to give him some extra water to be sure he is getting enough and maybe wet him down with the water hose to cool him off he is in good shade and has plenty ventilation since he is in a wire cage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: