Diarrhea and red bum (gross pics)

LizzzyJo

Show me the data 👩🏼‍🔬
5 Years
Dec 14, 2018
The Great Black Swamp, Ohio
My cream legbar (1.5 yo) has always been prone to diarrhea (hence the trimmed bum feathers from a cleaning last month). But now she has redness and soreness. That is new. She is very dirty with diarrhea. A few of the girls got diarrhea last week - I think because of black beans, but they all felt better after a day.
Now Mina has had another bout of it. They are free rangers on a no-chemical property.
Is this a cause for greater concern? Should I wash off all diarrhea all the time? They normally preen themselves clean after a bit but she is a poor pathetic girl right now 🙁
Behaviorally she’s great. Bossing everyone around, laying beautiful blue eggs, and being her fiercely independent, bad-ass self (pun intended).
I am not super educated on illnesses and diseases. Help?
71BECE84-9159-48CC-AEE5-C71CD99E446C.jpeg
D6E0B182-29FA-4038-AECC-CA5FD92F2634.jpeg

Give her buttermilk mixed with plain boiled white rice in her feed for a few days. That should clear up the diarrhea.
The redness is caused by urates in feces scalding her rear end and bottom. Apply Nu-Stock to the red area and it will heal it. Shake the tube well and wear disposable gloves when applying it.
thnustock.jpg

Vinegar is acidic and surely not something you would find in their natural diet, im curious how this works?

Vinegar is acidic and surely not something you would find in their natural diet, im curious how this works?
People suggest vinegar like it's a cure-all, but it's not. In this case, the roots of the suggestion may come from the fact that RAW vinegar is full of probiotics, which can be useful for intestinal upset. Yogurt and buttermilk also have probiotics and would provide the same benefit. If the vinegar is raw, and not processed with heat, then use it if you have it.

Last edited:
I'm in the UK, I doubt our vinegar isn't sterilised with heat; I'll have to remember yogurt if this problem crops (pun intended) up for me

Thank you all so much for your help! I will try yogurt and look into the other remedies.

Do you all clean their bottoms (if not impacted) or let them clean themselves over time?

Back
Top Bottom