Diarrhea but otherwise fine?

Suzannah

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Georgia
One out of my three chickens has diarrhea. She is eating and drinking fine, no blood in poo, neither of the others has it. I put some probiotics in the water, along with a little sugar. They are all drinking fine. It has been three weeks. No change. No worms. No recent food change, and no odd scraps.

Maybe she's just poopy? What am I overlooking?

I did look at the poo chart. She is, I guess, in the range of normal, but she has poo all down her backside, and that is "new" (three weeks, so not really new). The others don't have it. When I got two of them, they both had the same thing for a couple days, but I attributed that to stress.

Some breeds are more prone to poo bums (BR) If you search posts - some have trimmed a bit of the fluff to help with the problem. I hope that is all that is the issue with her - just keep an eye. If she seems normal otherwise - poo happens.

One of my four hens has this issue too. It has been going on for quite a while now. I should mention that she has just completed a molt. Is your hen moulting?

I know molting cause a lot of hormonal changes and am hoping that is what my hens problem is. She appears to be eating fine and looks healthy otherwise. I have had a fecal done to check for worms and it came back negative.

One thing I would definitely do is stop the sugar in their water. Sugar can contribute to diarrhea, both in chickens and in humans.

Quote:
I only did that for a couple days to encourage them to drink in the very, very cold weather we had. Now they just have plain.

Back
Top Bottom