Diarrhea but otherwise fine?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Suzannah, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Suzannah

Suzannah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Georgia
    One out of my three chickens has diarrhea. She is eating and drinking fine, no blood in poo, neither of the others has it. I put some probiotics in the water, along with a little sugar. They are all drinking fine. It has been three weeks. No change. No worms. No recent food change, and no odd scraps.

Maybe she's just poopy? What am I overlooking?

2. FinsUp

FinsUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
  3. Suzannah

Apr 18, 2010
    Georgia
    I did look at the poo chart. She is, I guess, in the range of normal, but she has poo all down her backside, and that is "new" (three weeks, so not really new). The others don't have it. When I got two of them, they both had the same thing for a couple days, but I attributed that to stress.

4. FinsUp

FinsUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
    Some breeds are more prone to poo bums (BR) If you search posts - some have trimmed a bit of the fluff to help with the problem. I hope that is all that is the issue with her - just keep an eye. If she seems normal otherwise - poo happens.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If it is worms, you might not see worms in the poo.

6. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    One of my four hens has this issue too. It has been going on for quite a while now. I should mention that she has just completed a molt. Is your hen moulting?

I know molting cause a lot of hormonal changes and am hoping that is what my hens problem is. She appears to be eating fine and looks healthy otherwise. I have had a fecal done to check for worms and it came back negative.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    One thing I would definitely do is stop the sugar in their water. Sugar can contribute to diarrhea, both in chickens and in humans.

8. Suzannah

Apr 18, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:I only did that for a couple days to encourage them to drink in the very, very cold weather we had. Now they just have plain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by