diarrhea help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Murphyslaw123, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Murphyslaw123

Murphyslaw123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm dealing with diarrhea here in one of my birds. The others seem fine. She is pooping a lot of water. It's been going on for about 36 hours. She is 21 months old. She was just wormed for the second time 11 days ago. She is vaccinated for Marek's and coccidiosis. Her appetite seems fine and she is drinking well.

I've given her some plain yogurt as well as electrolytes, in addition to mixing up some "exact" baby bird food (paste consistency. She gobbled it up) as of this afternoon. Is there anything else I can try? Her tail is up and she looks okay.

I noticed she is starting to molt today. Could that be part of it?

*I wanted to add that she hasn't laid an egg for months. She seems to enjoy pecking out the feathers just below her vent, so she's been lacking in that department for a while. I've checked for parasites and never seen anything on her or any of the others (who all seem fine). I did feel around for anything abnormal but didn't notice anything.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    What was she wormed with? The wormer may have stressed out/been hard on her system, and consequently caused this diarrhea. Or it could just be a fluke occurrence. Since you say she is acting fine otherwise, there probably isn't anything seriously wrong. To help boost her digestive tract, you can offer yogurt, probiotics, or Apple Cider Vinegar (with mother in it). Other than that, just continue observing her for any more symptoms.

3. Murphyslaw123

Nov 18, 2012
    Thank you! She was wormed with valbazen - once on 12/24, and once on 1/3. I will watch her for any new symptoms. Fingers crossed that she firms up soon. I don't want her to get dehydrated.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you stop the yogurt. What are you feeding her besides electrolytes and baby bird food paste?

5. Murphyslaw123

Nov 18, 2012
    She normally eats Green Mountain organic coarse layer and has had access to it all along. I thought the yogurt would be good for the probiotics? Interested to hear your reasoning for possibly stopping it.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yogurt has a tendency to pass through chickens. Buttermilk is a much better probiotic and is easily absorbed, it also coats the intestinal lining which yogurt doesnt do. It is much better for building up the immune system.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Murphyslaw123

Nov 18, 2012
    Okay, makes sense. I will try to grab some on my way home from work tomorrow. Thanks.

8. Murphyslaw123

Nov 18, 2012
    despite probiotics, electrolytes, and nutri-drench, this bird still has diarrhea. Sometimes it looks like it might start to firm up, but it's been inconsistent. Even though she was vaccinated, could coccidiosis still be a concern? The other 7 birds seem fine. I'm just not sure what else to try with her. She is happy, tail up, eating and drinking.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I seriously doubt it's coccidiosis since she is almost 2 years old. What wormer did you use and how was it administered? In the meantime STOP giving her all the vitamin and mineral stuff, too much of it contributes to diarrhea especially the nutri drench. Just give her her feed to eat and that's all.

10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by