Diarrhea in one hen but not others

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NYC feather fam, Jun 23, 2011.

1. NYC feather fam

NYC feather fam Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Staten Island, NY
    So about 1-2 weeks ago my omega bird, a 2 year old EE started exhibiting some runny stools. I know they are not normal cecal droppings; I have not observed every incident, obviously, but even her cecal droppings are runny. She is active and alert and social with the other birds as normal, she is eating and drinking fine and there has been no change in her egg production. Her eyes are bright and when I pick her up I am not observing any significant weight loss or wasting. I have not noticed any of the other 3 birds having diarrhea and they are all healthy and active as well. I have not changed their diet recently. I know they were all vaccinated as chicks but they were not my birds at the time so I am not sure specifically for what. This is my first flock and I inherited them from the neighbors this past winter. They free range in the yard during the day.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Can I make any changes too their diet to help promote normal stools and a healthy immune system? i did not take action sooner and continued to observe because she is acting normal. I realize I am talking about these birds like they are human...but I am a nurse so maybe that is why....lol.....

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    My birds eat the same things and produce entirely different droppings day to day.
    Has it been hot there? In really warm weather, some chickens will drink extra water and do runny poops as a way of cooling down. My darker hen seems to feel the heat more and does this a lot.

Or, she may be eating something when free-ranging that the others ignore?

Have you checked the poo chart ? [​IMG]

3. NYC feather fam

NYC feather fam Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Staten Island, NY
    wow....thank you, poo chart that was HIGHLY informative. [​IMG] Based on the pictures I think she is ok.....her poop seems normal to slightly watery. It is definitely more watery than what she typically produces. This all fits together because it has been pretty hot the past few weeks, not this week but it is still very humid. I do notice she seems more interested in the water than the other birds. I'm going to implement some of the strategies suggested in other posts to help keep them cool --cold or frozen treats, ice water, frozen water bottles in the coop and hosing down an area in the yard so they can lie on the cool earth. I also have an old fisher price sandbox (the old green turtle kind) and I might fill this with water for them to let them splash around a bit. If it gets hot again I'll try to put a fan outside as well but the only electricity I've had in the coop is for the water heater via an extension cord in the winter. I can give it a shot though.

Thanks for the help. That poo chart is great [​IMG]

4. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Sounds like a great plan [​IMG]. I hope that solves it!

& yes, the poo chart is iconic! Only a chicken lover could ever create something like that! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by