diarrhea not getting better!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by llandry, Dec 28, 2014.

1. llandry

llandry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    I have a 4yo hen (and possibly a 2nd one) who has had diarrhea for 4wks now. My other 10 hens are fine. I have taken all of the advice given and think I need to go to the next step. I've been giving her probiotics in the water, yogurt daily, no table scraps. She's happy, eating great, clean vent and butt feathers. Nothing changed prior to the onset of diarrhea meaning no changes to the flock, food, coop, ect....

I think I need to take treatment up a notch. I work with cats and dogs in a vet hospital but we don't treat chickens. Besides, the wealth of knowledge I find from you all on BYC is incredible!!!

I have access to, meds but am unsure of the doses. At this point I'm not sure if i should deworm the group. I'm also thinking of starting metronidazole.

Any thoughts?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Have your birds ever been dewormed?

3. llandry

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    I've never dewormed them They ate the medicated crumbles as chicks which treats for coccidia right? That's it though.

4. cafarmgirl

If they've never been dewormed in all their lives then that's certainly where I would start. Use something effective and broad spectrum, Valbazen is about the best, liquid Safeguard for goats is a good one as well. Dose is 1/2 cc for a standard size bird, repeat the dose in 10 days.

Medicated chick starter is to help prevent coccidiosis outbreaks, though it contains such low levels of coccidiostat that it doesn't always even do that much. But yes, that is all it is for, does nothing for worms.

There certainly may be other reasons your bird has diarrhea so I'd start by ruling out the most likely possibilities first and go from there.

5. llandry

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    Thank you so much! Should i give it to all of them as a precaution or just the one who is having the issue?

6. cafarmgirl

I would deworm them all. Chickens will get worms at some point, there's not really any way around it unless one keeps them in a wire cage so they never touch the ground.

7. llandry

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    thanks! I really appreciate the advice. Hopefully this fixes her up:fl

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by