diarrhea, worms,internal layer? Will it help if I worm her? Update

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kayri, May 21, 2010.

1. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    My 1 year old game bird has had diarrhea for the last 3 weeks. She also has not been laying (thought she was broody for a bit) and she could be laying internally. She laid a shell-less egg about 3 weeks ago. She does not appear to have all of the same symptoms as my black sex-link who definitely became and died of internal laying. Her abdomen is not swollen, however she is low energy and standing around all puffed up and her tail is down, but some days she is better than others. I have been trying to feed her egg yolks, finely chopped roast beef, and anything that she will eat. She has a very low appetite, but she is the most skittish of all of my chickens and she is kind of freaked out when I have to catch her.

I looked at the pictures of poop posted here: http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0 Her poop looks like the one that was labeled, "could be worms or internal laying" Will it hurt her if I deworm her with drop-on ivermectin? I understand that she may be laying internally and there is nothing that I can do to help her if she is, but it has been about 3 weeks since she laid. Wouldn't she be worse by now? She is better today then I've seen her in a couple of weeks. Wish I knew what was wrong so I could help her by de=worming, or prepare myself for her eventual internal laying demise.

just for the record, my 5 hens have a large penned in area and free-range around my garden every day. They eat layer pellets and have oatmeal-yogurt for a treat in the mornings. I give them a cup of crushed oyster shell whenever I see they have finished the last cup, usually once a week or so. I also give them a handful of BOSS/corn/oats as treat twice a day. I give them avia- charge 2000 once a week and I put a dash of vinegar in their drinking water.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I would say to worm her for sure. If she has worms, timing is of the essence or she could die from them. It isn't going to hurt, and just may help.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with kathyinmo. Start out with wazine17, then use ivermectin 2 weeks later.

4. kayri

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    Thanks for the input, I'll start with ivermectin tomorrow, as I have it and I used it in the fall, so hopefully she won't have built up too large a worm load for it to be effective

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Wormload- That's why you should use the wazine17 first, then about 2 weeks later follow up with the ivermectin.

6. kayri

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    oops, should have read your email first. I used the ivermectin today, it could be just my imagination, but she seemed a little better tonight. Came out of the fenced in area with the rest of the girls and dug around a little bit. I am good at imagining things though. I'll buy some wazine to have on hand.

7. kayri

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    Just wanted to let people know that my game bird is doing fine. About 3 days after the drop on ivermectin she started eating again, and she is totally fine now. I think her poops are still a little watery but she is running around with a spring in her step. Thanks to all that recommended worming. I think she is laying again also! I thought for sure she was going down the tubes. . . Do you think I should treat everyone in the flock with Ivermectin if she had worms? She does tend to poke around in the dirt a bit more than the others that gobble their morning oatmeal right down. Thanks for the advice! Love this website! Oh also, do you think I should treat her again?

Kay

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Oh yes, certainly treat everyone. If one has worms, you can bet they all do. No, there is no need to repeat the worming. I worm twice a year, spring and fall. Toss out the eggs for 2 weeks.

It is nice to see you had good results, and she is doing better!

9. kayri

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    Thanks for your input Kathy. Isn't ivermectin also used in humans when they have worms? will it hurt me if I eat those eggs? We don't sell them or anything, they are just for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by