Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BentWillow, Feb 14, 2009.

1. BentWillow

BentWillow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    W. TN
    Sorry for the gross post but I am a little concerned over my 7 day old chicks who have the runniest diarrhea. I don't remember this with our last brood in '08. We feed them chick starter, a little scratch and have the vitamin powder that McMurray sent to put in their water. We have lost 4 chicks out of 27, so I don't know if this is a bigger issue or not. I'm getting ready to try some ground oatmeal and scrambled eggs. Any other ideas?

2. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    Give them some sugar in their water as well as the powder from Mcmurray. It reduces stress. And dont pick them up to much.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would discontinue the scratch. The chicks are too young for it.
    Does the diarrhea look like melted chocolate and is it all the time or only an occasional stool from each? It could be cecal poo, which is normal.
    You can see pics of the different stools here:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Also, is your chick starter medicated?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  4. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I am having this same problem with one of my Orp chicks. I pmed Miss Prissy, and she suggested this: Discontinue medicated chick starter, and give non-medicated. She also said to give yogurt and rice. So I mix plain yogurt with cooked rice.
    I haven't talked to her again, so I don't know how long it takes to see improvement. It does seem to be a little better, but not completely. Oh, and as Gritsar suggested, I wouldn't give them scratch.

Paula

5. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Quote:So i was eating while i looked at that page. not really a good idea.... very informative, gross, but informative!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Sorry [​IMG]

7. BentWillow

BentWillow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    W. TN
    Sorry Candle98! The poop does indeed look like melted chocolate. It has been 24/7 every day. They are getting it on their feet and on their rears no matter how often I clean up their pen (big box with newspaper covered with paper towels.) I gave them some ground oatmeal and it seemed to help firm up the poop a little.
    Thanks y'all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by