diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nlyles, Aug 19, 2010.

1. nlyles

nlyles In the Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    we have a flock of 12 chickens and we know that one maybe two has diarrhea because of the evidence left from their perches they are sleeping on. We can't tell exactly which ones though because of how close they are sleeping together. I am fairly sure that one is our rooster. This has been going on for about two weeks now and I've been giving them vinegar in their water to help with parasites, etc. I've not been too worried because everyone of the chicks look and act fine with the exception of our big rooster "Jackie". His crow has sounded a little raspy for the last couple of weeks as well. But examination reveals that everything else is fine. His eyes and nostrils look good. No drainage, just a raspy crow. The diarrhea is just a brown liquid. No blood that I can find. Any idea's what I'm dealing with and the best way to treat it?

Thank you all.

2. Agnella

Agnella Chirping

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    I'm curious to see what opinions you get. I have been seeing brown liquid droppings too.....like melted chocolate. [​IMG]

3. My girls and boys are doing the same thing. No blood, just watery and brown poo. some of the time it's clear water and brown poo. I was told there's a good chance its the heat. [​IMG]

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Songster

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
  5. Agnella

Agnella Chirping

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    I don't see this particular poo on that website. It looks like a Hershey's Kiss just melted in a puddle.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  6. nlyles

nlyles In the Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    that's how mine looks too

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    That is cecal poop, it is normally deposited every 8-10 droppings. It is a normal function unless it is constant. Edited: Fishnet. You are correct; watery brown poop is due to excessive heat, mine have done it as well. Plain yogurt, scrambled egg mixed in their feed helps replace the nutrients and proteins lost, nutri drench in their water for a few days helps as well.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by