Diarrohea and off her food .. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eggasperated, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Eggasperated

Eggasperated New Egg

Sep 4, 2012
    UK
    I have four hens and they are all one year old ...

3 weeks ago one of them started with diarrohea, was very quiet and wasn't really eating. I took her to the vet the same day and she was given a shot of antibiotic and some wormer to take home. I also took a sample of her droppings to the vet, which they examined under a microscope, and the only thing that showed up was a small amount of worms.

When I got her home I brought her indoors and immediately gave her some worming medication mixed in with some scrambled egg which she ate readily, (I started worming the others too) I left her indoors overnight, and when I went to see her in the morning she was raring to go, so I put her back with the others and carried on with the worming.

She completely recovered and has been ok up until today, but it has all started again. She has diarrohea again, has gone off her food completely, even her favourite treats, and keeps going into the coop to rest. There is no solidness in the diarrohea, it is dark green/brown mixed in with urates, and I cant see any blood.

Im thinking that she may have been particularly burdened with worms, and that she needs to be wormed again, but she isnt interested in eating, and I dont know how to get the wormer into her.

Can anyone help with the worming problem, or suggest anything else it could be.

Thankyou.

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

is she broody?

3. Eggasperated

Eggasperated New Egg

Sep 4, 2012
    UK
    Im new to chicken keeping, am not quite sure how you would properly define broody ..

When she lays her eggs, I guess she does sit on them a little longer than the others, but this is not for long, maybe 30 minutes at the most, then she gets off them and doesnt return to the coop until bedtime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by