Diary cow taming question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by farmchick897, Jul 11, 2011.

1. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    Is it possible to take a 4yr old Dutch belted cow who was never used as a dairy cow and tame her to become one? And if so how? Do I put her up alone and start graining her and just get her used to me? She is due to calf anytime between now and fall. I would like to be able to hand milk her but also leave her with her calf.

2. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    I've never done this before, so sorry if this doesn't help lol, but we did gentle down a "range cow" to the point that I could lead her around and she came whenever I called. Like you said, keeping her in a smaller pen and graining her, as well as TLC and attention will have her gentled down in no time. Work your way up to putting a halter on her and then so on 'til you get to the milking! [​IMG] It sure will be a long time before you're milking her though if she's not tamed down and has never been milked...

3. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    A bucket of feed and a Stop Kik Stick.
    Forget the rope in the flank and hobbles. My milk cows have kicked me straight out the pen even with those things on them.

Also depends upon her temperment.
    Is she calm now?

4. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    I only bought her a few weeks ago and turned her out on pasture, so I don't know if she is calm. She looks thin to me, but I'm guessing that's just the dairy look. I've never owned a dairy cow, only beef. Here's a picture of her.

[​IMG]

5. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    no help here, just wanted to say she is beautiful! I love the banded cows like that. So jealous!

6. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Wow, she is pretty!

7. karl E lutz

karl E lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    She looks just like a belted galloway.I have one about like her but she is a heffer.
    Get her in a head shoot and get a bridle on her.tie her up and rub her down each day. Bring her treats and spoil her so she forms a bond you'll have a good cow.Mine is foirever coming up behind me and rubbing her head on me wanting a good scratching!

8. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Hate saying it, but my Jersey who is putting out 3 gallons a day plus raising 2 calves looks better then that.

Get the cow in a pen and immediately treat for worms and lice.
    Start feeding her seperately. Look for a dairy feed. Follow the directions.

My girl gets around 22-24 pounds of feed a day plus is out on pasture and has access to a bale of hay. But she is also being milked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by