Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicksooner I was actually reading up on the no turning for the first four days but the more I read and understood the embryo stages, I went on to research "shipped" eggs, and have decided to stick with the 24 hour wait (I am taking in consideration the temperatures the eggs are traveling this week from CT to PA unless it gets hot again then I will do the 12 hours as the email from them suggested) but I will turn them as gently as possible using the book method under the egg carton, with "thick" ends up and keep in the cooler basement.

I am overwhelmed with so much different information and seem to have traveled all over the world in my research! Some so involved I was totally lost and about to throw in the towel!! But we can do this! I to have figured out my "game plan" only to change it with more research! Isn't that the frustrating part? I have been compiling this word file all Summer and I kept changing it, adding to it, deleting from it!

If your seeing development it sounds as though they should be OK! fingers crossed and pray that we are told to do the correct steps!!

alisar are you hatching yet?

weimarama (love that name!) nerve-wracking to say the least!! lol Can you share a little about how you hatch? Gonna check out your blog http://thecountrychick.blogspot.com/

BTW a little help with this site! when do I give the thumbs up? I am assuming its NOT like the "like" on Facebook, also should I respond to each person separately under their "comment box?"
ep.gif

he.gif
Oh Crud buckets & MEALY WORMS! So I got the email that the silkie eggs have been shipped, so I go online to track USPS and and ... well they are coming from Arizona!!! Say wha wha what?????? I searched for two days for my hatching eggs, 2 days yes I did! Homework check! Not

I chose a hatchery in CT and the closest with silkies available to Pennsylvania. And I waited a month until a cooler spell was coming to set up delivery because of the travel conditions even for that distance!

So, these eggs will sit in the heat and travel GREAT distances to my home in Pa. for 7 days they will travel.... Exactly what I didnt want! Go figure... Off to a great start I am! For some reason I didn't find this on my initial, very thought out plan! sighhhhh

What are the chances of these guys making it? will they already be in hatch mode with heat on the road? do I wait for them to settle 12 hrs or 24 hrs in cool place if this is so the case? Do I change my inucbation planned humidity levels?

I have not researched this because it wasn't Ideal conditions. I soooo wanted to do my best. I did email them and ask them details on shipping and all I had rcvd was, "you will recieve and email when your order ships". shoulda called!

NOTE: Call and make sure you know exactly what location your eggs are being shipped from. Got it!

Uh oh, you are going to have candle them when they come. I hope they are going to be O.K.

Last edited:
My guarantee from them is ... "If any eggs for which you have paid arrive cracked or broken, contact us within two business days of receiving them with photos of the damage"

When does any "seepage" occur and what does that look like? is it all over the egg or just spot?

Should I candle them immediately or wait till they settle 12 or 24 hrs?

What about the heat in travel, could they have already started the incubation process on such a long hot journey?

uggg of all things, right from the start!
thumbsup.gif
but its ok, I got this right? lol
I wonder if I should just order other ones!

Last edited:
My guarantee from them is ... "If any eggs for which you have paid arrive cracked or broken, contact us within two business days of receiving them with photos of the damage"

When does any "seepage" occur and what does that look like? is it all over the egg or just spot?

What about the heat in travel, could they have already started the incubation process on such a long hot journey?

thumbsup.gif

I let my shipped eggs sit for about 10 hours before I put them in the bator. I weighed and candled them before I set them so I knew what kind of air sacs I was dealing with from the beginning.I placed all the eggs in an egg carton (big end up) to help them settle even more and then put them in the bator. I did not turn the eggs for 5 days as per instructions from a long time hatcher. After the 5 days I started turning on a regular basis until day 18 when they went into lock down.

I did have one at day 7 start to seep. It almost looked like tree sap running from several different places on the egg.

It's a very good idea to candle them when they arrive because sometimes that's the only way to spot hairline cracks, plus it gives you a good idea of what shape the air cells are in. I've hatched a lot of shipped eggs and never had any start developing in transit (*knock on wood*). But I know a lot of people have had that happen and they do go ahead and put them in the incubator with the turner unplugged for a few days when the temps are really high. It's a good idea anyways to not turn shipped eggs for the first few days just to give them time to settle down.

If you have seepage from eggs during the incubation process, you'll know it. I had a seller send a really bad egg to me once - could smell it even before opening the box and when I opened it the packing material was damp from seeping liquid oozing through the eggshell :sick.

thumbsup.gif

Mine started seeping on day 3-4. After that long of a travel I would put them in an egg carton and into the bator as long as they are not cold. I think after 7 days not only shipping will be an issue but age will as well.

Every shipping eggs you need to settle 24 hour before you set .Than you bring in the room temp where the incubator have 2-3 hour, and you can place in the bator.

Brookhavens
smile.png
Thanks so much for helping out! In re: to the 5 days, I thought the beginning week is extremely important so the embryo doesnt stick. and these eggs will be enroute for 7 days and thats not including my settle time here as well as how long they heId them before shipment.... I cant remember what all I read anymore, I have read myself into confusion! I assume the hatcher you speak of said this because of the air bubbles? oh and your comment..."I did have one at day 7 start to seep. It almost looked like tree sap running from several different places on the egg.." Now I can "see" it in my head!

Weimarmama Thanks so much too! I will do the candling and before that SMELLING... oh geez I hope they are ok!!!
I am assuming when I candle I will tell if they are already in hatch mode by the veining, I will refer to my candling sites I have in my favorites! and do as you said and start the process but without turning them for a few days! Greatful for your time everyone!

chicksooner do you keep your eggs in a carton the entire time in the bator? I dont have an auto turner. If so do you use a styro carton or paper carton?

margitas settle 24, bring to room temp then set! Got it! :)

smile.png
AGAIN I cant tell you how much I appreciate your help! Thanks soooo much!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom