Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sally Sunshine, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    O.K. I'm not Sally, but here goes: I increase humidity on day 18 when I lock down and the only drowned chick I ever had was due to an incubator issue (the placement of the water wells and air circulation).

2. Crimsonchicken

Crimsonchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    North Alabama
    Hmmm...so what humidity do I shoot for? Is 60 ok?

3. pcreel

pcreel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    Florida
    but remember im not suppose to have a rooster let alone chickens here in the city. my son loves him that is why we make accommodations for him.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    60% is good. I aim for between 60-70%. Once the chicks start hatching it may go up to 80%

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

7. Crimsonchicken

Crimsonchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    North Alabama
    Gah...it must be dry in here. My humidity is sloooooooooooowly rising from 50. It hit 50 quick but is only gaining a percent every so often. I had so much trouble getting to 50, I bet it goes way high now. It would be my luck. :(. Edited to add that this is with paper towels trailing out of full reservoirs and sponges.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  8. bellah1

bellah1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    Western Washington
    Remember it's not the depth of the water but the overall surface

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

heterokairy is used to define the variability or plasticity in the timing of the onset of developmental events 'at the level of an individual or population. hetero - different kairy - at the same time. Meaning that the continuously lower temp incubation had no effect on when they pipped. it did have an effect on when they hatched though. the lungs developed essentially before the rest of the development.

it was a high powered study but the hatch rates were not great in either arm.

no abstracts on drilling tops of eggs. its my hypothesis. one day i will do a two hundred egg study and publish it, but not this week

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by